[TUTORIAL] Jailbreak 2.0 with winpwn!

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 2.X' started by RenegadeKrogan, Aug 5, 2008.

1. RenegadeKrogan

RenegadeKrogan Banned

How To Jailbreak 2.0 with winpwn

**DISCLAIMER** I am not responsible for anything that happens to your ipod touch. **DISCLAIMER**

This is a guide created for people who are having problems creating firmware with winpwn of any version. This tutorial will teach you how to jailbreak 2.0. There are two options for the custom ipsw. Create your own or find a pre-created one. I have a custom IPSW with a Zelda icon so PM me for details.

Also, this guide is a little late so I am sorry.

Let's get started.

You are going to need a couple of things.

~ipod touch

~Firmware 2.0 Restore (you can get this in a variety of ways. I suggest getting it legally. You can read how to get it free and legally by going here. There are other ways of getting firmware 2.0 but they are illegal and I do not suggest using them. Just buy the update. You should be able to find 2.0 after buying in a file. For Window's users the 2.0 Firmware is stored in Documents and Settings\<User>\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPhone Software Updates and for Mac users it is stored in ~/Library/iTunes/iPhone Software Updates.

~Custom 2.0 IPSW. They can be found on youtube most notably from willdta and the video is called "HOW TO JAILBREAK A 2.0 IPOD TOUCH OR IPHONE ON WINDOWS" and the IPSW can be found there. Only download the IPSW if you have bought 2.0 or it is illegal.

~Winpwn. You can download the latest version of Winpwn from here. Make sure to uninstall previous versions before installing this.

~iTunes 7.7. You can download this straight from apple here.

After you have everything listed above you can move it step #1.

Step #1

Open up Winpwn and select browse ipsw and then and navigate to your iPod 2.0 Restore. (not the custom ipsw). Look above for where you can find the 2.0 Firmware after buying it. If you did not buy it there are always "other" ways to get it but they are not suggested or supported in anyway by me. If you bought it look above for where it is stored on your computer.

Step #2

After selecting the ipsw file, winpwn's other buttons will be darkened and you can now use them. You can try to create a custom firmware if you want. The method we are doing now is alternative if your custom IPSW is failed when trying to create it. You can make one by going to IPSW builder and go on from there. There is a tutorial for it here. If you successfully made it then go to step #3. I suggest using the custom ipsw from willdta's video if your custom ipsw is failed.

Step #3

You will want to select "ipwner" from winpwn and then navigate to your custom ipsw file. Select it and then the computer will do it's work and you will see a notice saying "itunes was pwned." You are now ready for step #4.

Step #4

Open itunes and close winpwn. You will want to plug in your ipod touch now and put it into DFU mode. You can enter DFU mode by doing the following...

1. Plug in the ipod and let it get to the home area.

2. Hold the power button and the home button for 7 seconds or until the ipod shuts off.

3. After exactly 2 seconds let go of the power button.

4. Continue to hold the home button for about 30 seconds until the computer reconizes it and it will tell you your ipod must be restored before it can be used with itunes.

HINT- the screen will be black in DFU mode. The only way to get the custom ipsw on itunes and the ipod is by entering DFU mode.

Move to step #5.

Step #5

Hold the shift button and click restore in itunes. You now can navigate for an ipsw file. Go to your custom ipsw and select it. iTunes will now start to restore your ipod. This may take a while so be patient.

When the restore is done and the ipod is done being restored you will want to go to the home screen and you should have a new icon called "Cydia."

Step #6

Open up Cydia and install BossTool. Restart your ipod and then go to bosstool and move the fonts. You will now have a lot of space for applications. After that is done update all of Cydia's necessary updates. Your ipod is now jailbroken and ready for action.

Also, whenever you need to restore your ipod (SWOD etc...) just go back to step #4 and continue from there.

I hope that this guide is helpful and please remember it is an alternative guide.

Please PM me with any questions.

I will be adding screenshots when I can.
  2. Steaps

Steaps New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Sorry but was another thread like this necessary?
  3. JOS

JOS Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Sorry but was this being in the wrong section necessary?
  4. iHAX

iHAX Banned

Nice But there is already a ton of threads like this i reccomend making a video

theres only like 2 good vids on youtube that show how to winpwn 2.0
    and all the noobs are on youtube trying to find out how to jailbreak 2.0
  5. RenegadeKrogan

RenegadeKrogan Banned

This is mainly for people who have a problem with making a custom ipsw. So, yes, it is necessary. rokrboy made some great suggestions and he has approved this thread.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    2.0 Jailbreak Tutorial being in the 2.0 Jailbreak section? No...it is in place.

Please Register or Log in to view images

6. Laurentiu

Laurentiu New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (White)
    Just go to have a short nap... to all of you who are complaining about this thread...Out there are a lot of ipod, iphone users who needs this kind of info. Doesn't matter if allready ''exist'' this thread....Calm down people....
  7. RenegadeKrogan

RenegadeKrogan Banned

True. Why have one thread that some people cannot find when you can have a couple with different steps made by different people. Stuff like this needs to be more accessible. I made this because i searched hard and could not find anything. Also, for future referece...please do not post in this thread if you are going to say "search before posting" or "we dont need another one of these"...get over it. You are just spamming this thread. Thanks.
  8. b1j4nt

b1j4nt New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Thanks, i agree this was necessary. I thought i had to restore to normal 2.0 every time i wanted to restore. Thanks man you saved me a lot of time and effort.
  9. iHAX

iHAX Banned

yea give him some slack he is just trying to help nice post very helpful =D
  10. RenegadeKrogan

RenegadeKrogan Banned

Did it work well for you?