[Tutorial] iPhone Jailbreak/Unlock and General Info

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mattym, Jan 13, 2009.

1. mattym

mattym New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    You may update your iPhone Firmware to 3.0.1, Just use all the current jailbreaking software. Use it as if it were 3.0

3.0 and 3GS Updated
    Ok, here is the updated guide, let me know if i missed stuff.

Ok I am posting this Tutorial as something that i hope will be appreciated and i plan to update as Apple, The Dev-Team and other 3rd Party developers make new software that either hinders or helps in the iPhone jailbreaking and unlocking process.

Updated for Firmware 3.0!

I hope to cover enough info so that we may eliminate the majority of the duplicate questions that are asked on a daily basis.
    I always reccomend backing up the iPhone, including Notes, Pics, Contacts, Music, videos and anything else you may have. As a restore will eliminate these from the phone.

Current Software Out There:
    iPhone 3.0 Firmware
    ultasn0w
    PwnageTool 3.0 (Mac Only)
    redsn0w (Mac/PC)

The Lingo:
    -Jailbreak - Modifying the iPhone/iPod software to allow for 3rd party applications to be installed and run.
    -Unlock(ing) - Modifying part of the iPhone software to allow it to work with a SIM card of a cellular carrier other then the one it is exclusive to in your country.
    -Baseband - The modem software in the phone.
    -Home Button - The round button on the front side of the iPhone.
    -Power Button - The oblongated oval shaped button on the top of the iPhone

2G(1st Gen):

- You will need to gather the necessary software to jailbreak your phone. You need the following:
    * The "iPhone1,1_3.0_7A341_Restore.ipsw" restore file.
    * The redsn0w(0.7.2) or PwnageTool 3.0 application. They can both be found via Mirror download or *******s on the site I linked earlier in the tutorial.
    * The iPhone BootLoaders: BL-3.9 and BL-4.6(Google search those terms, not to hard to find)
    - Also the following:
    * A computer.
    * Your USB iPhone cable.

-Jailbreaking and unlocking the 1st Generation iPhone is fairly simple. An exploit found early on made it very easy to do.
    -Plug the iPhone in to your PC and update to OS 3.0 then make sure iTunes is closed.
    -Turn off your iPhone, but keep it plugged in.
    -Start up PwnageTool or resn0w and let it detect your device.
    -Make sure it registers as a 1st Gen iPhone.
    -You will be asked to provide the restore ipsw file at this time. Brows to where you downloaded it and select it.
    -You will now have to select what you want on your iPhone. All options are optional, but keep in mind if you want to unlock now is the time to select that and that Cydia(or another installer) is needed to make use of a jailbroken phone.
    -If you choose to unlock the next screen will ask for the BootLoader files I asked you to download. Browse for them and add them.
    -The next screen will remind you to keep your phone plugged in via USB.
    -At the next screen you will see several lines of text that are grayed out. Each line is an instruction. I reccomend you read them ahead of time and get used to what you will have to do. Your can press back to go and restart the count.
    -Starting this part will highlight(bold) one of these instructions, it is important that you do that instruction as soon as it is highlighted.
    -Follow all the instruction then your phone should start to be jailbroken.
    -When the program is done let it sit untill your iPhone has rebooted itself and you have access to it.
    -To confirm that it is Jailbroken you should see the Cydia app on your springboard.

-If you chose to unlock your phone uppon booting up it should automaticaly take you through the process of setting it up with your SIM card.
    (For additional detail or probles read the 3G instruction or post a reply)

3G(2nd Gen):

Recently the Dev-Team has made it possible to unlock the iPhone 3G through a software application. The new Ultrasn0w software unlock is intended to work on the new baseband that came stock with OS 3.0

- So you will need to gather the necessary software to jailbreak your phone. You need the following:
    * The "iPhone1,2_3.0_7A341_Restore.ipsw" restore file.
    * The redsn02(0.7.2) or PwnageTool 3.0 application. They can both be found via Mirror download or *******s on the site I linked earlier in the tutorial.
    - Also the following:
    * A computer.
    * Your USB iPhone cable.
    * Wireless Internet Connection(for unlock, and 3rd party installers)

- After you have updated/restored your phone to a 3.0 firmware you can begin the jailbreaking process. Make sure that iTunes is closed and your iPhone is still plugged into the usb port. your iPhone should also be off.
    - You will need to run redsn0w which will try to detect your device. Make sure that it finds your iPhone 3G. Next it will ask you for the correct ipsw file. You will have to point it to the folder where you downloaded the 3.0 restore file. You will then Need to click the next button. You will then have the choices to install Cydia, and Custom boot logos. The boot logos are not needed and you can use them or choose not to. Cydia(or other installer) is need to unlock the iPhone.
    - Clicking next should bring you to one last screen asking you to make sure that the iPhone is still connected. As long as it is you may click next.
    - The next part can be tricky but redsn0w will talk you through it. You will have to press the iPhones buttons in a specific order for a set amount of time. redsn0w will only register if you did the whole process wrong or wright. It will not verify if you have done the presses correctly between each instruction. So read ahead and be ready. You can press back and restart when ready. It will also time it for you but it will only be correct if you press once the instruction becomes bolded.
    - As the last instruction you will be holding for several second then resn0w will start to do its job again. At this point just leave the iPhone be and let redsn0w do the work. This part will take some time depending on some factors because it has to load data onto the phone. The redsn0w screen may tell you to restart or disconnect your iPhone or that it is done. Make sure you leave it alone until the iPhone reboots itself and lets you go from lock screen to springboard.
    - To prove that it has worked you should find and run Cydia, or anything else you installed.

- If the process fails at any point and you are left with a "bricked" or messed up phone there are some steps you need to take. First off you are going to have to put your iPhone into a DFU or Restore mode. There are many ways to do this so just look it up on this website or on google. This will then allow your to restore the iPhone through iTunes. At which point you can begin the process again. No one has completely bricked the iPhone because of the jailbreaking process yet.

- At this point you are jailbrocken and ready to go. If you are planning to keep your current cell carrier you can stop here. After the jailbreak you can sync your phone and start enjoying it. However if you wish to unlock it please read on.

Unlocking: (internet connection to iPhone Required)
    - At this point in time the 3G unlock is done on the phone with a 3rd party app. The Dev-Team's ultrasn0w app is meant to unlock the phone for use with other SIM cards. You will need to enter the Cydia program and navigate to the "sources" area. To do this start Cydia from your iPhone and wait for it to load. Then click the manage button found at the bottom. Then click on sources. Once here you will have to click edit, then the add button will appear.

- You will need to add this source: repo666.ultrasn0w.com
    enter it exactly as shown. Then complete the add and refresh the sources.(Can take several minutes)
    - You can then use the search key in Cydia to find the "ultrasn0w" app.
    Once you find it you may install it and probably have to restart your phone. If this is the first time using Cydia keep in mind it may force you to install several other apps/resources.
    - Your phone is now ready to accept a new SIM card. Tho keep in mind that it must be a GSM based SIM Card. As far as i know any iPhone that requires an unlock only has the hardware for a GSM based network.

Also if you are putting in a SIM card that is linked to an account with no Data Plan or a pay per use Data Plan be ready to get charged. Even if you do not use the web or any other internet based application it still sends data from the phone. To fix this you will need to use a tool called "bossprefs" it is a 3rd party app that you can easily find in Cydia. This tool will let you turn the phones data connections completely off.

3GS(3rd Gen):
    Same thing as the iPhone 3G, just make sure you have redsn0w 0.8 or higher.
    Also, if you want to make sure you can jailbreak after future updates make sure to follow this guide. Thanks to studangerous for putting this together so i didn't have to

Please Register or Log in to view images

Please do not hesitate to ask questions about something i may have not covered. Also if you feel i am wrong about anything let me know and i will make changes as i see fit. (3.0 related replies start page 8/9)

- mattym 5/23/09
  2. Antney1234

Antney1234 New Member

Device:
    iPhone
    Great Guide!

Please Register or Log in to view images

This will help alot of people.
  3. Joe Rossignol

Joe Rossignol Community Manager Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Sure will! Stuck this thread.
  4. mattym

mattym New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Im going to try to add some important pics soon to make it even easier. Also gonna take my phone through the unlocking process so i can trouble shoot some of the problems the other people have. Check back soon if your having trouble getting through the process.
  5. WhightKnight

WhightKnight Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    So I could confidentily go out to best buy right now and buy a 32gb iphone 3g and within the same day make work with my verizon wireless service?

(even though I doubt I would ever do that, since I already have a ipod touch 2g)
  6. mattym

mattym New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    No, i said GSM based SIM card. Verizon does not even use SIM cards, however they have one phone, The Storm, that happens to have one. Still tho its a CDMA based SIM card. The iPhone 3G simply does not have the hardware to use it.
  7. BarclayMG

BarclayMG New Member

Help?

I can get all the way up to the point where you have to hold down the home and power buttons, but when I do it, it gets up to a "9" count, and then stops working, and an error message pops up in my itunes.

Am I just not timing it correctly??
  8. mattym

mattym New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Well the prolem is is that ur iTunes should be closed. The button press cycle is what puts the iPhone into DFU. This may trigger windows to bring up a littel notification, just ignor, but iTunes should be closed.
  9. BarclayMG

BarclayMG New Member

How do I keep the iPhone from being recognized automatically? I have a Mac, and as soon as I plug in the phone to the computer, it syncs it up with iTunes, whether it's open or not.
  10. mattym

mattym New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    after it starts you should be able to close out iTunes. Also on a PC you can end process the ituneshelper process. Im not sure how or if you can do this on a Mac.