[Tutorial] iPhone 2G/3G 2.2 Jailbreak Guide

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mattym, Dec 9, 2008.

1. mattym

mattym New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Ok over the last week i have seen a bunch of questions regarding the jailbreak for the 2.2 iPhones. This being a mainly iPod Touch site the low down on the 2.2 iPhones isnt all here. So hopefully this will help all my fellow iPhone owners.

2G(1st Gen):

You are safe to update your phone through iTunes. You will jailbreak with the usual qucikpwn(win/mac) or pwnage(mac) methods.

This site has a nice full exlpanation of how to do it, even tho quickpwn is already nice and simple. The link also has the bootloaders and 2G 2.2 restore files as well as a link for the latest quickpwn that you will need. Simply follow that page and you should how no problem jailbreaking and unlocking your 2G iPhone.

3G(2nd Gen): READ BEFORE UPDATING!

As most of you know there is no software unlock for the iPhone 3G yet. The dev team are working hard on it but Apple threw a monkey wrench in their plans in this past update. They changed the baseband. This means that all the work the dev teams have done will have been for nothing.(Baseband change in 2.2 or newer)

This means that if you update through iTunes this baseband will be changed forever.(as far as we know now)

So here are your options. If you are currently using your default carrier(AT&T or others outside the US) and dont have any plan to unlock your phone you may update to 2.2 via iTunes. You can then use quickpwn(win/mac) to install "installer" and "cydia" onto your phone.

If you believe the dev teams will come out with a soft unlock in the near future and want the chance to use it the you need to use a different method.
    First and foremost you cannot update via iTunes. You will need to use the pwnage(mac) tool(no windows methos atm). You will need to creat your own custom firmware. You will need to locate the baseband file for the 2.0-2.1 iPhone 3G firmwares. I am not sure were to find them but a quick search of google or youtube should produce the results you need. You will then need to get the 3G 2.2 update file and use pwnage to make a custom firmware with the old baseband in place of the new one. You will then need to update your phone with the firmware you made.

For windows users with a 3G they plan to someday unlock, you will need to get a friend with a mac to help you out on this one. Or search around for a custom firmware made with this in mind. As per the rules i will not post any here.

TO BE CLEAR:
    There is currently no software unlock for the iPhone 3G. In recent news the Dev Team is close and will hopefully be realeasing a method soon. Just remember that this will likely require the origional baseband, so be carefull when updating.

Hope this helps clear things up.
  2. ipodmanfan

ipodmanfan New Member

Device:
    iPhone
    Thankyou for the link its appreciated

Please Register or Log in to view images

3. mattym

mattym New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    People can also follow the same link for the 3G , just ignore all parts related to the unlock.
  4. mattym

mattym New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Bumped cuase this answers half the posts made over that last two days.
  5. skittishbeast2

skittishbeast2 Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    if i update my iphone 3G to 2.1 (not 2.2) through itunes. am i okay in my baseband for the future soft unlock?
  6. mattym

mattym New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    yes, the baseband change was put into effect in 2.2
  7. skittishbeast2

skittishbeast2 Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    thanks for the clear out
  8. hasstavo

hasstavo Member

Device:
    iPad mini
    what happend if i already updated to 2.2 and jailbreak with the new baseband. If i restore to a previous 2.1 firmware will i recover the old baseband?. Thanks in advanced
  9. stmteam

stmteam Guest

How do you upgrade your firmware but keep your jailbreak, do you just accept the update.
  10. mattym

mattym New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    @Hasstavo: As far as we know you cannot bring the baseband back down.

@stmteam: There is no way to keep the jailbreak, you always have to re-jailbreak after an update.