[Tutorial] How To Use Umbrella To Save SHSH Blobs Locally

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by ownerofspam, Mar 30, 2010.

1. ownerofspam

ownerofspam Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    All owners of MC serial iDevices, i.e. iPod touch 32GB/64GB and iPhone 3GS manfuactured after late 2009, who are on 3.1.3 and want to have a chance of jailbreaking in the future should follow this guide to back up the SHSH blobs that are required to activate firmwares on these devices.

Given that @comax and @geohot have untethered jailbreak's in the pipeline for release and we are now aware that they are not at the bootrom level then there is every chance that Apple will engineer out these recently exploited firmware flaws in a future OS update. Most new firmwares need a new jailbreak and as Apple will force you to restore to the latest firmware if you want to stay on your current OS you'll need to it's SHSH blobs backed up so you can spoof the firmware to authorise locally in order to downgrade. SHSH blobs are device and firmware specific.

---------------------------------------​

TUTORIAL

The Firmware Umbrella Blog

Umbrella is a very small program that will grab your SHSH blobs from Apple, or Saurik. If you haven't used it, localhost won't matter, so we're going to stick with these two.

First of all, make ABSOLUTELY SURE that your hosts file in the ETC file (if you've done this, you know what I'm talking about)does not have the entry redirecting gs.apple.com to saurik's server.

What You'll Need:
    You will need to find your ECID for this to work properly. In order to do that, see this thread by clusterfunk. http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=207134

NEW WAY OF GETTING YOUR ECID
    If you are already jailbroken, go ahead and grab EmailECID off of Cydia, it will grab your ECID without you having to go into recovery mode.

Download link for Umbrella - http://www.[PIRACY.mf].com/file/jywkzwjyykt/fw-umbrella-semaphone-222.zip

Download the file and Unzip it using your favorite unzip tool to your desktop. I only say desktop because I think it's the easiest way to do this.

1. Open umbrella.exe (if you're running 64 bit, open umbrella64.exe)

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. Type in your ECID in the ECID box.

For Jailbroken, go to 3a. If not yet, go to 3b.

3a. If you are jailbroken:

At the current point in time, never knowing if cydia could for some reason crash, I would suggest downloading ALL SHSH files that you have. To do this, select your device and all firmware versions that you have on file. You can check this in cydia on your jailbroken device.

So, for a ipod touch 3g wanting 3.1.2 SHSH's...

Just do that for all firmwares you have on file, you should have from 3.1.2 to 3.1.3, at the very least.

3b. If you are not Jailbroken, but want 3.1.3 SHSH's...

redirect it to apple instead of saurik, and presto!

When downloading the SHSH's it will freeze for a minute or two and seem like it is 'not responding', don't be alarmed, this is normal and soon enough...

4. Personally I would rename your SHSH right after you download it. It's saved in the same folder as Umbrella is so i would rename it to something easier to read, especially if you have more than one device. So...

I'll write up a tutorial on TinyTSS and how we'll use these SHSH files when the time arises. If you're reading this right now, you probably don't need to use it.

MAJOR EDIT
    In step 4, if you rename your shsh file, make sure that there are NO SPACES in the filename. If there are, you will not be able to use the file properly later on. This is a forewarning.
  2. Volcomstone000095

Volcomstone000095 Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    What do we do with the SHSH if we, lets say want to restore and downgrade back to 3.1.2?
  3. cotton509

cotton509 Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    dont need shsh for that if u use ipt2g fw it dosent have to be signed
  4. Fenderboy

Fenderboy New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    but it says that the ipt2g 3.1.2 firmware isn't compatible
  5. ownerofspam

ownerofspam Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Do you honestly have a 3.1.2 SHSH that you haven't used for the past 2 months or are you just generally wondering? If it's the former I'll write up a tutorial but if you're generally wondering I'll type it up after we get a firmware update before people start complaining.
  6. Volcomstone000095

Volcomstone000095 Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Honestly, I was just wondering. I don't really need a tutorial because I have had no problems with my iPod. I realized like 10 minutes ago that I could use a 2G 3.1.2 restore firmware with my 8GB 3G, so I do not need a tutorial. Thanks.
  7. ownerofspam

ownerofspam Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Short Version: TinyTSS broadcasts your SHSH file so that iTunes uses it to verify like it does Sauriks server.

Long Version: Wait a month or two

8. Volcomstone000095

Volcomstone000095 Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Ok cool. I can probably figure it out.
  9. chipster

chipster New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Is this process recommended/necessary for me? I am a 3G ipt owner, purchased one week ago which originally had 3.1.3 on it, but I downgraded to 3.1.2 using 2G fw, and have a jailbroken ipt from blackrain now. I am relatively new to the ipod touch so please excuse me if this is a stupid question. I appreciate your help and the time you took to write this tutorial. Thanks.
  10. xXrkidXx

xXrkidXx Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Your fine, you don't need to worry about this.