[Tutorial] How to make a Female USB

Discussion in 'iPod touch 2G Jailbreak: redsn0w, 24kpwn, etc.' started by Ryan, Mar 5, 2009.

1. Ryan

Ryan Well-Known Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    Ok, well like many of you, i did not have a female to female usb cable in which i could plug my ipod and "booting device" into. So here is a tutorial on how to convert a "female usb to male usb" into a "female usb to female usb"

Materials
    -USB Cable
    -Small Flat Head Screw Driver
    -Scissors/ Knife
    -Ultra thin pen or other small poking instrument

WARNING:
    I am not responsible for any damage or injuries to you, your stuff, or anything else that might happen from this instructable. This shouldn't be dangerous but if your that dumb, now you can't sue me!

ALSO VERY IMPORTANT
    It was brought to my attention that if this was plugged in upside down, it would short stuff out and that's bad! So don't do that!

1. On the cable there is a small crack where the two halves of the case are glued together all the way around the connector, jam the screw driver in carefully and pry the halves apart to reveal the metal inner case.

2. Then, you need to get the metal casing off of the wires. The case has two little metal arms where it joins to the cable, they are kind of "strangling" the wire. Use the screw driver to bend these out flat away from the wire. Then on either side there is a little flap over the side with a hole in it that holds the top and bottom together. Stick the screwdriver under the flaps and pry them back carefully. Now the top and bottom of the case should separate.

Please Register or Log in to view images

3. Now you should be left with the little white wafer thing that is normally inside the metal case, now exposed. On one side there should be four little metal connector strips and on the other, four holes, one under each connector. The connectors are sunk into the wafer thing so that they don't touch anything. What we need is for those connectors to be sticking out of the wafer so they can make a connection. This is very easy because of the holes on the bottom, all you need to do is take the tip of the ultrathin pen and use it to poke the connectors out using the little holes.

4. Now hopefully as long as you didn't push the connectors out too far it will fit in the USB male as a female would.

After an hour of trying this myself (my usb decided to coat itself in a thick rubber insulation which i had to cut through) i found out that not all usb's have the holes in the bottom of them so you can push the pins up. If you look inside the USB end there should be 3 bits going down like this...

If it is not, then dont do this!

Source: http://www.instructables.com/id/Make-a-USB-Female-connector-out-of-a-USB-Male-conn/
  2. DayDay

DayDay New Member

cool, i have somewhere a male to female usb cable.
    thx
  3. Ryan

Ryan Well-Known Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    no problem

im trying it now
  4. Salamantis

Salamantis New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Would it work if I took a miniUSB (male) to USB (male), changed the male USB to female and plugged in my regular iPod cable? I don't want to ruin my iPod cable as I only have 1 but I do have like 6 miniUSB cables.
  5. Ryan

Ryan Well-Known Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    yeah that should work fine i think....
  6. LazyFunker

LazyFunker Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
  7. iCrap

iCrap Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Woa.. if this is all just a female to female.

my way is much much easier

8. Ryan

Ryan Well-Known Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    well thanks for posting it....
  9. iCrap

iCrap Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Ok, sorry... but this is confusing looking.

so your taking the iPod cable and the USB male side is being taken off and now you slide a USB cord over it?

Edit: if you read the comments of it, it dosent work as well as you might expect.
  10. Ryan

Ryan Well-Known Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    You basicly take the metal casing off so you have the pins exposed. Then push the pins up from underneath. Then it becomes female.