(Tutorial) How to Install Winterboard Patch

Discussion in 'iPod touch 2G Jailbreak: redsn0w, 24kpwn, etc.' started by seanG, Feb 14, 2009.

1. seanG

seanG Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Ok I figured out how to correctly install the winterboard patch. Do not have Winterboard installed already!!

Here's the video if you don't get the steps. They took my song off so it doesn't have any sound.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDlhgiLAlR8

Update 1: I'm currently making an update video that also shows my iPod screen while I am doing the steps. Will be up soon. Right now it's 5:54 EST

Update 2: Video done. Currently uploading.

Update 3: Here it Is. I might upload a better quality one later: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEq7I_nPShk Watch it with some music.

You should already have semi-tether jailbroken and be able to boot into normal mode and jailbroken mode. I used this to do it: Semi-Tethered HD Video. It seems people are having some trouble. Use that video if you have any problems and try this guide again without installing anything before you try it.

Get the patch here.

Make sure you have OpenSSH installed from Cydia.

1.)Unzip that file onto your desktop.

2.)Go into Cydia and install Winterboard.

3.)When it is done it will have a button that says reboot device. Do not press that yet!!

4.)Now use Winscp to SSH into your iPod. Hit backspace three times and navigate to System\Library\Launch Daemons. Open the "System" folder on your desktop and click "Library" then "Launch Daemons". Drag all three files to your iPod. It will say to overwrite "com.apple.SpringBoard.plist". Do that and set the permissions to 0644 for each file. (They might already be set to 0644)

5.)Navigate to usr\bin on your iPod. Now open the "usr" folder on your desktop and click "bin". Drag the file to your iPod. Set the permissions to 0755.

6.)Now hit reboot device on your iPod and it should boot into normal mode.

You should now have winterboard on your springboard. Boot into jailbroken mode to use it. If you have any questions post them here!!
  2. FenrirWolf

FenrirWolf New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Cool. So I've already installed Winterboard and tried applying the patch after I had rebooted my iPod (and that didn't fix the non-jailbroken reboot problem). Can I just delete Winterboard and reinstall it this way?
  3. seanG

seanG Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    You can try it. If it doesn't work then just re jailbreak and try it.
  4. iPod Touch™

iPod Touch™ Banned

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    YAY! 100th Post, btw I'm not gonna try to do the semi-JB but nice tutorial

Please Register or Log in to view images

5. dabomb1022

dabomb1022 Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Cool thANKS!
  6. FenrirWolf

FenrirWolf New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Well, that didn't work. I really wasn't looking forward to re-jailbreaking again, but looks like I don't have much of an option. Would it be a bad/illegal thing if I asked for the original files to try restoring it to normal before patching?
  7. seanG

seanG Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    What original files would you need
  8. FenrirWolf

FenrirWolf New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    The files that this patch overwrites. And if I remember correctly there's one file in this patch that wasn't on the iPod at first. Basically I'm trying to see if I can restore semi-tethered functionality without Winterboard and without having to rejailbreak if i can at all avoid it.

If I had backed up my files like I did with the other tweaks I've done via WinSCP I wouldn't have this problem, but I got too confident. =P
  9. matiu

matiu New Member

I've followed the instructions by letter, and winterboard works, but now my ipod doesn't get in normal mode (only in jailbreak mode).

Please Register or Log in to view images

10. seanG

seanG Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Hmm had you already tried to install winterboard and the patch? I recommend before doing this to do a fresh jailbreak.