[Tutorial] How To Install Mac OSX 10.6 Snow Leopard as a Guest Virtual Machine in Windows 7

Discussion in 'Mac & OS X' started by Naveen121, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Naveen121

Naveen121 Well-Known Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    [Tutorial] How To Install Mac OSX 10.6 Snow Leopard as a Guest Virtual Machine in Windows 7

**Before I begin, I’d like to say that this tutorial took a very long time to compose, so if you like it, hate it, or have any questions, comments, or concerns, please post a comment below giving me feedback about your experience with the Mac OSX 10.6 Snow Leopard VM. Also, I am simply sharing my knowledge with you in this tutorial, so please follow it with caution as I am not responsible for any damages to your property. Now with that being said, let’s get started!**

Hello iFans! Today we are going to learn how to install and run Mac OSX 10.6 Snow Leopard as a guest virtual machine in Windows 7. But before we start, it’s important to understand what a virtual machine is and how it works.

A virtual machine (VM) is a software implementation of a machine, such as a computer, that executes specific programs like a physical machine. An essential characteristic of a virtual machine is that the software running inside is limited to the resources and abstractions provided by the virtual machine—it cannot break out of its virtual world. Virtual machines are separated into two major categories based on their use and degree of correspondence to any real computerized machine. The first type of VM is a system virtual machine, which provides a complete system platform that supports the execution of a complete operating system (OS). The second type of VM is a process virtual machine, which is designed to run a single program, meaning that it supports only a single process. The type of VM that we are going to focus on today is a system virtual machine where we will install and run a complete operating system platform in a host machine (HM) running Windows 7.

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS FOR VMWARE WORKSTATION 7 (HOST MACHINE):

PC Hardware:
    • Standard x86-Compatible Personal Computer
    • 1.3 GHz (Minimum) or Faster (Recommended) CPU
    • Compatible Processors Include:
    - Intel: Pentium 4, Pentium M (With PAE), Core, Core 2, Core i3, Core i5, and Core i7
    - AMD™: Athlon, Athlon MP, Athlon XP, Athlon 64, Athlon X2, Duron, Opteron, Turion X2, Turion 64, Sempron, Phenom, and Phenom II
    - Experimental Support for AMD Sempron™
    • Multiprocessor Systems Supported

Memory (RAM):
    • 1 GB Minimum (2 GB or Higher Recommended)
    Please Keep in Mind: You must have enough memory to run the host operating system, plus the memory required for each guest operating system and for applications on the host and guest systems.

Display:
    • 32-Bit or 64-Bit Display Adapter Recommended

Disk Drives:
    • Guest operating systems can reside on physical disk partitions or in virtual disk files.
    • Hard Disk:
    - IDE and SCSI Hard Drives Supported, Up to 950GB Capacity
    - At least 1GB free disk space is recommended for each guest operating system and the application software used with it; if you use a default setup, the actual disk space needs are approximately the same as those for installing and running the guest operating system and applications on a physical computer.
    - For Installation — 80MB (Linux) or 150MB (Windows 7) free disk space required for basic installation. You can delete the installer file afterwards to reclaim 56 - 60MB of disk space.

Optical CD-ROM/DVD-ROM Drives:
    • IDE and SCSI Optical Drives Supported
    • CD-ROM and DVD-ROM Drives Supported
    • ISO Disk Image Files Supported

Host Operating Systems:
    • Windows 2000, XP, 2003, Vista, and 7 Supported
    • Windows 7 Recommended

SecurAble: You can download and run this application to see if your computer supports hardware virtualization. An ideal system for hardware vitualization would look like this.

DOWNLOADING AND INSTALLING VMWARE WORKSTATION 7 ON HOST MACHINE:

Step 1: Download and install VMWare Workstation 7 for Windows. I’d suggest downloading the free trial version of the application first to test it on your computer. Then if you like it, you can always upgrade the application its full version through the VMWare Online Store. Once you have downloaded the VMWare Workstation 7 setup executable file, run it and follow the on screen instructions to setting it up. You may choose which features of VMWare Workstation 7 that you would like to install on your computer, however it is recommended that you install the application with the standard packages and features. It is also recommended that you restart your computer after installation of VMWare Workstation 7.

DOWNLOADING MAC OSX 10.6 SNOW LEOPARD OS AND PRE-MODIFIED VMW FILES:

Step 2: Purchase Mac OSX 10.6 Snow Leopard disc for your computer.

Step 3: Download Mac OSX 10.6 Snow Leopard Pre-Modified VMW Files.

SETTING UP MAC OSX 10.6 SNOW LEOPARD AS A VM USING VMWARE WORKSTATION 7:

Step 4: Open up the VMWare Workstation 7 application, and select the “Open Existing VM or Team” option on the Home page.

[​IMG]

Step 5: A file-browsing window will pop up. Using this window, browse to where ever you saved and extracted the pre-modified VMW files and select the “Mac OS X Server 10.6 (experimental).vmx” file. Then click on “Open.”

[​IMG]

Step 6: Click on the “Edit Virtual Machine Settings” option. Here you can select specific properties of your Mac OSX 10.6 Snow Leopard VM, such as the amount of its virtual hard disk space and the amount of its RAM. Don’t Be Greedy! It is recommended that you share your computer’s RAM equally with your VM. For example, my computer had 4 GB of RAM, so I allocated 2 GB for my host machine and 2 GB for my virtual machine. After adjusting these settings to your personal liking, go to the “CD/DVD” section of the VM settings window and select the “Use ISO Image File” option. Then, click on the “Browse” button and point VMWare Workstation 7 to the “Darwin_Snow.iso” file, which we downloaded in Step 3.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Step 7: Click on the “Power on this Virtual Machine” option. Then press the “F8” key on your computer’s keyboard. Once you press the “F8” key, you should see a screen similar to the one shown below.

[​IMG]

Step 8: Now, we will point the VMWare Workstation 7 application the Mac OSX 10.6 Snow Leopard retail disc that we purchased earlier instead of the “Darwin_Snow.iso” file. To do this, right-click on the CD/DVD icon found in the lower right corner of the VMWare window and select the “Settings” option. Then mark either the “Use Physical Drive” or the “Use ISO Image File” option depending on whether you are using the Mac OSX 10.6 Snow Leopard retail disc or the retail .iso file. After that, point the VMWare Workstation 7 application to the appropriate disc or file and click on the “OK” button. Then click on the “Connect” option, which is located above the “Settings” option.

[​IMG]

Step 9: In the “Mac OS X Server 1.6 (experimental)” window of the VMWare Workstation 7 application, type the letter “c” to select the “Boot DVD” option. Then, you should be greeted by the Mac OSX gray boot screen with the dark grey Apple logo. [If the Mac OSX boot screen does not appear, boot into verbose mode in order to diagnose the problem by pressing the “F8” key after selecting the “c” option, and then entering the “-v” command (without the quotation marks).]

[​IMG]

Step 10: If all went well with the booting of the Mac OSX VM, then you should see a Mac OS X Installation & Setup screen in which you can follow the on screen instructions to select your specified language and keyboard, install the Mac OS onto the “Macintosh HD,” and register your new Mac with Apple.

[​IMG]

Step 11: Once the installation and setup of your new Mac is complete, it will ask you to reboot the system. Click on the “Reboot” button and allow Mac OSX to shut down. Then, you will also have to manually shutdown the VM using the VMWare Workstation 7 application by clicking on the red square button.

Step 12: [IMPORTANT] Before turning on your Mac OSX VM, you must once again change the CD/DVD option in the VM settings and point it to the “Darwin_Snow.iso” file, instead of the Mac OSX 10.6 Snow Leopard retail disc or .iso file. This is a crucial step; however you only need to do it once.

INSTALLING VMWARE TOOLS IN THE MAC OSX 10.6 SNOW LEOPARD VM:

VMware Tools is a suite of utilities and drivers that enhances the performance of the virtual machine’s guest operating system and improves management of the virtual machine. Installing VMware Tools in the guest operating system is vital, yet optional. Although the guest operating system can run without VMware Tools, you lose important functionality and convenience.

Step 13: Once your Mac OSX VM has freshly booted, select the CD/DVD drive icon in the tray at the bottom right corner of your VMWare Workstation 7 window, and click on the “Settings” option. Here, point the application to the “Darwin_Snow.iso” file and click “OK.” If any messages pop up, just click the “OK” button. Then, a “VMWare Tools” icon should appear on your desktop. Double-click this application to open it and open up the “Install VMWare Tools” package, and follow the on-screen instructions to installing them.

[​IMG]

SETTING UP SHARED FOLDERS BETWEEN HOST AND VIRTUAL MACHINES:

Step 14: Click on the “Edit Virtual Machine Settings” option and click on the “Options” tab in the VM Settings window that pops up. Then click on the “Shared Folders” option, and mark the “Always Enabled” option. After that, using the “Add” feature of the VMWare Workstation 7 application, point it to the folder that you’d like to share and click on the “OK” button.

[​IMG]

EXTRA HELP:
    • Once you have gone through the whole tutorial, it is recommended that you check for any software updates, and install them for optimal performance. You can do this by going to the “Apple Logo” in the task bar at the top, and then clicking on the “Software Update…” option.
    • I haven’t experienced this problem myself, but I heard that if you get an error message from the VMWare Workstation 7 application saying that it is unable to virtualize the Mac, the cause may be that either your computer is not capable of virtualization or that the virtualization option has been turned off. In order to fix this problem, you should first check the system requirements again and make sure that your computer is capable of running a VM. If it is, then while you are booting up your computer, hold down which ever keyboard key it maybe for your specific computer to enter its Boot Menu, and find the “Allow Virtualization” option. Once you have found this option, set it to “ON,” and reboot. [More Instructions]
    • If you’ve followed the instructions carefully and exactly, you should not experience any problems. However, if you do, feel free to post a comment with your questions, comments, or concerns.

**I also plan to write a similar tutorial in the future teaching how to run Mac OSX 10.7 Lion as a Guest Virtual Machine in Windows 7 using VMWare Workstation 7.**
  2. Jayden

Jayden Active Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Nice guide!! It's a shame I cannot run it on a single core processor.

Ohh well, I'm getting an iMac soon, so not to worry!
  3. Naveen121

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Thanx! i prob wont be getting a mac for a while, so the VMs will have to do for now! :p
  4. alphonse3344

alphonse3344 Well-Known Member

Naveen121 you, my friend, have out done yourself. :)
    I have been searching long and hard for a guide. This works perfectly on my computer. Thanks so much.
    Nice tutorial and detailed steps.
    Mods please Sticky this!
  5. Naveen121

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Thank you dear Alphonse Your kind words are very much appreciated, and I'm glad that it worked for you Have fun with your new snow leopard vm! :D and mods, a sticky would be great!
  6. jsp20

jsp20 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Thank you for writing this tutorial. It can be very helpful for the people who want to run OS X but can't afford the mac hardware
  7. _D4RK_ANGEL_

_D4RK_ANGEL_ Well-Known Member

Device:
    HTC One
    will my do?

CPU:
    Intel Pentium 4 650
    Cores 1
    Threads 1
    Name Intel Pentium 4 650
    Code Name Prescott
    Package Socket 775 LGA
    Technology 90nm
    Specification Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.40GHz
    Family F
    Extended Family F
    Model 4
    Extended Model 4
    Stepping A
    Revision R0
    Instructions MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, Intel 64
    Virtualization Unsupported
    Hyperthreading Supported, Disabled
    Fan Speed 3387 RPM
    Bus Speed 200.0 MHz
    Rated Bus Speed 800.0 MHz
    Stock Core Speed 3400 MHz
    Stock Bus Speed 200 MHz
    Caches
    L1 Data Cache Size 16 KBytes
    L1 trace cache 12 Kuops
    L2 Unified Cache Size 2048 KBytes

MotherBoard: Manufacturer Hewlett-Packard
    Model 0A00h
    Chipset Vendor Intel
    Chipset Model i955X
    Chipset Revision 00
    Southbridge Vendor Intel
    Southbridge Model 82801GB (ICH7/R)
    Southbridge Revision A1
    System Temperature 58 °C
    BIOS
    Brand Hewlett-Packard
    Version 786D3 v01.08
    Date 03/10/2006
    PCI Data
    1. PCI Available
    2. PCI Available
    3. PCI Available
    4. PCI Available

Graphics:

Monitor
    Name DELL 2407WFP on NVIDIA GeForce GT 220
    Current Resolution 1920x1200 pixels
    Work Resolution 1920x1172 pixels
    State enabled, primary, output devices support
    Monitor Width 1920
    Monitor Height 1200
    Monitor BPP 32 bits per pixel
    Monitor Frequency 60 Hz
    Device \\.\DISPLAY4\Monitor0
    Quadro FX 1400
    GPU NV41GL
    Device ID 10DE-00CE
    Revision A3
    Subvendor nVidia (10DE)
    Current Performance Level Level 1
    Current GPU Clock 350 MHz
    Current Memory Clock 600 MHz
    Die Size 225 nmІ
    Transistors 202 M
    Release Date 2004
    DirectX Support 9.0c
    DirectX Shader Model 3.0
    OpenGL Support 2.0
    Bus Interface PCI Express x16
    Temperature 65 °C
    SLI Disabled
    Driver nvlddmkm.sys
    Driver version 8.17.12.6724
    BIOS Version 5.41.02.43.03
    ROPs 12
    Shaders Vertex 12/Pixel 12
    Memory Type GDDR3
    Memory 128 MB
    Bus Width 256 Bit
    Count of performance levels : 1
    Level 0
    GPU Clock 350 MHz
    Memory Clock 600 MHz
  8. Naveen121

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    wow micro, those are a lot of specs! I'm guessing that you got them from your computer's manufacturer, and all seems to be good, however according to the spec that I bolded above, you computer is not supported for hosing virtual machines. however you can always try it if you have a snow leopard disk laying around, but i wouldn't expect it to work. sry dude! :(
  9. _D4RK_ANGEL_

_D4RK_ANGEL_ Well-Known Member

Device:
    HTC One
    I can because ive ran Ubuntu and Windows Vista thru VMware.
  10. Naveen121

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    hhmmm... well, then i'm not a 100% sure. you technically shouldn't be able to, but if it worked for you, i doubt you'd be complaining :p and i'd suggest trying out the tutorial and seeing if it works. and if u run into any problems, ask away!