[tutorial] how to get 3g on ipod touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by stickman1000000, Apr 11, 2009.

1. stickman1000000

stickman1000000 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Turn your iPod Touch into a 3G iPhone!

there are two ways you can do this one with nokia phones with wifi and 3g
    and one with a windows mobile with wifi and 3g

Step-by-Step Guide with windows mobile

So here is the step-by-step guide on how to turn your iPod Touch (and iPhone) into a 3.5G iPhone! This is suitable for beginners as it involves no hacking at all of the iPod, and only a simple registry edit on the Windows phone.

What You Need

1) An iPod Touch or an iPhone.

2) A Phone/PDA with Windows Mobile 5 or 6.

I tested this on a HTC Ameo/Athena with WM6 but it should also work on any other touchscreen WM5 or 6. I've read that it will probably not work on the non-touchscreen Pocket PC versions. Your best bet is probably the O2 XDA Mini S which goes on eBay for around £150-200 new or £90-100 used. You can get it free from O2 if you really want a contract. It's otherwise known as the HTC Wizard. Anything from the HTC range of PDA phones should be fine.

3) A SIM card. These can be bought for 99p from almost anywhere now.

4) Download and install the free PHM Registry Editor onto the Windows phone. You can get it from www.phm.lu/Products/PocketPC/RegEdit/

Hey, don't panic! I'm not going to ask you to actually use Wince ;-) At least not once you've done the initial setup. The Windows phone just acts as a mobile access point that can stay hidden in your pocket or bag.

The Procedure

This should only take about 10-15 minutes. If you have any problems at all, feel free to ask other users in my forum.

1) Setup the Windows phone as follows:

a) Go to settings/connections/wifi
    b) Select the network adaptors tab, and select your Wifi card (should be obviously named)
    c) Manualy set an IP address, lets use 192.168.1.1 Then click in netmask and let it auto-fill with 255.255.255.0
    d) Go back to the Wireless tab, and select NEW network (make sure the option to show both fixed and adhoc networks is selected).
    e) Name the network whatever you want. I called it 'iPod'. Then tick 'This is a device-to-device (adhoc)' option. Hit 'Next'
    f) Turn off data encryption. You CAN use it, but it makes things more complex, and only 1 device can connect to this network anyway so nobody else will be able to use it.
    g) Hit next and finish. You should see the network name appear with 'Connecting'. It will sit there untill you finish the client side before it says connected.

2) Configure the Internet connection sharing,

a) Run Internet sharing on your device, select 'Bluetooh PAN' and check the box below shows your GPRS data connection.
    b) Open PHM Registry Editor and go to 'HKLM\Comm\ConnectionSharing\PrivateInterface=BTPAN1'
    c) Change 'PrivateInterface=BTPAN1' to 'TIACXWLN1', Ok and save this. Exit the registry editor.

3) Configure the WiFi settings on your iPod/iPhone (these instructions are for iPod Touch. Presumably iPhone is the same or very similiar. Just let me know in the forum how you get on!)

a) From the home page tap 'Settings' then 'Wifi' then 'Turn on WiFi'.
    b) Select your new 'iPod' network from the list. Wait a few seconds. It should connect.
    c) Press the 'Home' button and open Safari. Go to a webpage. It should connect with no trouble. I occasionally got the message, 'Cannot connect to iPod'. Turning it off and on (rebooting) should fix this. If not, reboot the Windows phone also and start from scratch.

And that's it! You've ended up with an iPhone that is 3G, is slimmer and lighter, and cost about 10 times less than an actual iPhone! Have fun with this and do feedback in the forum with any suggestions or further ideas.

Limitations and Followup Ideas

Ok, the first thing you might say is 'So how do I make voice calls on it? Well, if you're really sad enough to want to do that, then clearly you can't with an iPod touch because it doesn't have a microphone. I suggest you just take a normal phone out of your pocket and use that instead, as it's much more sensible for voice calls. You could even use the Windows phone in your other pocket if you don't mind looking like a complete dork holding a PDA to your head.

The iPhone could conceivably make VOIP calls this way, over a 3G network. I will let you know if anyone tried this with success!

I have tried MSN Messenger using the great web based messenger service, Meebo. It also allows you to use Aim, Yahoo and Google Talk, although I haven't tested those.

how to get 3g on ipod touch with a nokia phone

I haven’t got an iPhone 3G, instead I bought an Nokia E71 (review pending) and I couldn’t be happier. I did however update my iPod Touch to the latest 2.0 firmware, and have downloaded a few apps which are pretty cool. With my Touch I get all of the benefits of the iPhone, except for the ability to surf the web and make calls while out and about. Or can I?

Some of you may have heard of Joiku, but for those who haven’t it’s a small application that you load onto a Nokia phone that instantly turns it into a mobile hotspot. That’s right, you can hookup your laptop, or in this case iPod, to your phone over WiFi, no messy Bluetooth or cable connections necessary. I downloaded it to my E71 (right on the phone), and gave it a whirl today, and I have to say it works, very very well.

The setup procedure is similar to what you encounter on a regular WiFi router. You need to set an SSID, and (unless you like people stealing your data) a security code as well. Once that’s done, turn over to whatever device you want to connect, and add the network as you would any other.

Once connected, you can surf the web as normal. In my case, on my iPod. The Safari web browser works just great, as does the App Store. This setup actually one-ups the iPhone in that you can use the iTunes Store as well. Since I’m connected via WiFi, I can buy and download songs wherever I am, instantly. This is the reason I actually set this up, and it works brilliantly.

Best of both worlds really!

screenshots

http://www.geardiary.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/ipod3g20-500x375.jpg

http://www.geardiary.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/ipod3g23-500x375.jpg

http://www.geardiary.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/ipod3g22-500x375.jpg

http://www.geardiary.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/ipod3g19-500x375.jpg
  2. chavanak

chavanak Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Sounds interesting. Though I have both the iphone 3g and ipod touch2g, so no use for me I guess
  3. stickman1000000

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    is your iphone 3g jailbroken
  4. kzr22

kzr22 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    would that work with any nokia phone?
  5. G8D

G8D New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Only a recent one with Wifi and 3G..
    It may however work in future with any phone with 3G and Bluetooth.
  6. stickman1000000

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    has anyone tried it
  7. jlgm25

jlgm25 Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    yes! i have the e63! gonna test this out. Thanks!

Please Register or Log in to view images

this is adhoc networking, right?
  8. tktouch12

tktouch12 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    well it says its jailbroken... look up it says iphone 3g jailbroiken, so probably yes
  9. chavanak

chavanak Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Yes both my ipod touch 2g and iphone 3g are jailbroken. Just for the geekiness I would like to try, because if you have a iphone, there is no use of making calls from ipod. Infact having both of them is a waste of space but it was gifted from my girlfriend so I am probably stuck with it until the device dies

Please Register or Log in to view images

10. eladc

eladc New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Yeah my uncle has windows mobile on his phone and I actually could connect to the internet through his phone!