TUTORIAL: How to fix IVoiceIII

Discussion in 'iPod touch VoIP and Telephony' started by SkaterGOD/DOOD23, Jan 6, 2008.

1. SkaterGOD/DOOD23

SkaterGOD/DOOD23 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch

Please Register or Log in to view images

Hello Everybody, welcome to my first Tutorial!
    This tutorial is about fixing the IVoiceIII so you can use it. THIS METHOD ALSO WORKS ON THE NEW IVoiceIII, JUST FOLLOW (all of) STEP 12 AND READ THE MATERIAL'S LIST.
    I would like to thank
    e.mann30, cTTbLaKeMAn, trialnterror, and theagent for giving me tips and encouraging me.
    This Tutorial is different and more instructive then my other thread.

PLEASE BE CAREFUL WITH THE SOLDERER
    You could possibly: Burn yourself, solder splashing (this will destroy your mic) and also be sure not to burn any traces or contact points because that will cause malfunction in the short run or long run. THANKS cTTbLaKeMAn!
    NOW LET'S BEGIN!!!

MATERIALS

IVoiceIII
    Solderer
    Iron Rosin Core
    22-26 gauge wire
    Pliers
    OPTIONAL: LED Pin (This is for use with the new IVoiceIIIs[also compatible with old one])

Step 1. Get the IvoiceIII.

Step 2. Turn the Solder on or plug it in if you have a solder gun. Then take the IvoiceIII out of the case.

Step 3. Get Iron Rosin Core, unwind at least 5 inches of it so it sticks out.
    Here is a picture of Iron Rosin Core:

Step 4. Use the pliers to rip of the rubber stuff around the tip of the wire (as to expose the copper inside the rubber so it can be soldered).

Step 5. Bring the tip of the wire to the rosin core so they are touching, then bring the solder to the ROSIN CORE so it melts it onto the wire, this is called pre-coating the wire.
    Here is a picture of where you should be about now:

NOTE: This was just a picture of me soldering something else.

!!!STEP 6 IN NEXT POST!!!
  2. SkaterGOD/DOOD23

Device:
    iPod touch
    2nd Part of THREAD!

Step 6. Remove the solderer once the rosin core melts and check the wire to see that there is some metal-shiny stuff on it, if there is GOOD JOB! If there isn't try again.

Step 7. Now take off R24 with the Pliers or tweezers (I used pliers). Make sure when you do this you don't pull the pad on R24 as it is very easy to break and come off! (For more information, scroll down to post #9 - THANKS TRIALNTERROR) IN THIS PICTURE R24 WAS ALREADY REMOVED.

Step 8. Bring The rosin core to the LEFT SIDE of R24 and solder the metal there (Hold it till it melts, once melted check to see if there is a shiny white metal).

Step 9. Take the wire (the end with the pre-coat on it) and bring it close to the shiny-metal stuff on R24, then, with the solderer re-melt the R24 shiny-metal and stick the wire inside the liquid, then remove the solderer and wait till it hardens into shiny-metal again. It should now look something like this:

Step 10. As you can see in the above picture the wire is sticking up, so bring another piece of Rosin core to it(be sure to remove the rubber stuff on this side too), ALSO make sure the tip is not directly over the IvoiceIII or metal liquid will start dropping on it. Now, with the Rosin Core pre-coat this side too.

Step 11. Now use the Rosin Core to put shiny metal stuff on the RIGHT end of C16.

Step 12. Finally, take the other pre-coated end and the solderer and bring it to the right end of C16 where the metal shiny stuff is, then melt the shiny stuff and stick in the wire. Remove the solderer and hold the wire still till the metal hardens. IMPORTANT NOTE, FOR NEW IVoiceIII users: YOU CAN ALSO ATTACH THE PRE-COATED WIRE TO A LED PIN WITH THE SAME METHOD!
    It should now look something like this (without LED pin):

Step 13. GREAT JOB! You have finished the microphone, now you just need to stick it into your ipod like this:

NOW GO HAVE FUN WITH VoIP!

Thanks,
    Skater
  3. cTTbLaKeMAn

cTTbLaKeMAn New Member

way to steal pictures, but nice job i guess. its best to mention that if you have little to no soldering skills, you shouldn't attempt this because any solder splash will destroy your mic. and also be sure not to burn any traces or contact points because that will cause malfunction in the short run or long run. i actually learned some things from modding xboxes.
  4. SkaterGOD/DOOD23

Device:
    iPod touch
    Thanks, I'll add that information in

5. SkaterGOD/DOOD23

Device:
    iPod touch
    Added the precautions.

NOTE: If you are under 15-16 you probably do not want to try this without parental assistance.
  6. e.mann30

e.mann30 New Member

Great tutorial Skater

I'm posting this from my ipod. Nice going buddy. This should definitely help alot of people out.
  7. SkaterGOD/DOOD23

Device:
    iPod touch
    Thanks eman and thanks for helping!

Posted from my iPod too.
  8. kingjarman

kingjarman Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    very nice dood.
    still dunno how to solder though. :[
    maybe i'll tell my gpa to do it! =o
  9. trialnterror

trialnterror New Member

hey guys watch when you do this so you dont pull the pad on R24. the best way when you remove this resistor is to heat up both sides with a tweezer style solder iron.(I have them at work) So if you dont have one try to heat both sides at the same time while removing with tweezers or small pliers. Again careful not to lift the pad (The pad is a small square piece of metal glued to the ciruit board, that the resistor gets soldered to. They are very easy to lift and break off.) Take your time and remember not to leave the iron on the parts for more than two to three seconds no more. if you cant get it in that time wait a minute for it to cool and try again. The other thing about doing this was opening the case I started at the corner next to the plug and used a razer blade and pry alittle until it snaps open then do the other side of the plug. If you need to practice get a old circuit board(out of any electronics you can find will work, if your house is like mine I have a bunch of old cell phones lying around and if you dont have one you could ask a phone dealer they will give you a non working model most of the time) when your done I used some ar type coating to hold the wire down close to the board so it wouldn't have the chance of working loose. I guess if any of you want me to build you one I would do it for the price of the mic plus 10 dollars for my time (going to get it gas,shipping it ect) and you pay shipping I live in the us just leave me a message on here.
    hopes this helps.

Attached Files:

10. SkaterGOD/DOOD23

Device:
    iPod touch
    Thanks for the compliment king and thanks for that long tip trial.