[TUTORIAL] How to download themes from ModMyi without WiFi!

Discussion in 'iOS Themes and Customization' started by KCooper, Dec 19, 2009.

1. KCooper

KCooper Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    Okay, so you all know how ModMyi allows you to browse Cydia from their website, correct? Well, I know I have been looking through this and found a couple of things on there that I would really like to have, but unfortunately, I don't have Wi-Fi, so I couldn't get them.

But, fret no more!

Please Register or Log in to view images

Today I am going to show you how you can download anything that is on the site. All you have to do is download a simple .deb file, and there you have it!

Here we go! Here's what you will need:

1. Internet (duh)
    2. iPod touch/iPhone (double duh)
    3. iFunBox, iPhoneBrowser or other client
    1. First, click here. This is the ModMyi Cydia Browser. Find something in here that you want to download. For my example, I will be using the iClassic Colors. Here's the page.

2. Next, you will need to find the section in the description of the file called "File Name". It should say something like this:

File Name: 2debs/iclassiccolors1.1.deb

You see that? Now here comes the complicated part (complicated for n00bs, not normal people

). Highlight and copy the portion of the File Name that says filename.deb. In this case, it says iclassiccolors1.1.deb.

3. Now go to your old pal Google. In the search box, paste the filename you just copied. Click search. When the search results appear, find the link that says something like "Index of /repo/2debs/." Click it like there is no tomorrow. It should come up a page full of links, with a simple white background.

4. Now, remember earlier, when we copied the file name? Use your browser's Find tool, and paste the File Name into it. Click next, and your browser should navigate you to a link with the same file name. Click it, and it will allow you to download the .deb file of the theme that you wanted.

5. Plug your iPhone/iPod touch to your computer if you haven't already. Use your SSH client (in my case, iFunBox) and navigate to /var/root/Media/Cydia/AutoInstall. Place the .deb file you just downloaded in AutoInstall.

6. Now, reboot your iDevice. After it reboots, respring. You may have to go into Cydia and search for the package you just had and click "Upgrade" or "Reinstall" (even though there is no Wi-Fi). You will get error messages, but it should work then. Respring again if this happens.

Congratulations! Way too easy, huh?

2. Shadeslayer

Shadeslayer New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I feel that you made this waaay more complicated than necessary.

If you have mobileterminal; download the package on your computer, SSH it into your ipod and take noteof where it is saved (/private/var/xxxxx)

Go to mobile terminal and use the dpkg (Google it if you don't know it

, it's not difficult) commands to run an install on the .deb file. voila.

This is how I got 6 icon dock before it was available on cydia

(and 7 icon and 8 icon lol)
  3. narwal13

narwal13 Active Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    yeah. just put the deb in /var/mobile and type dpkg -i iclassiccolors1.1.deb. then respring
  4. SoBe

SoBe Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    nice would really like to try it as i dont have wifi.
    you can also install with ifile, right?

edit: yeah if you have ifile use that to install it. way more simple.
  5. theiThemer

theiThemer Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Or just change the .deb to .zip, extract the .theme file, and your good to go.
  6. Appman

Appman Community Development Staff Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Very nice tutorial. I'll try it out
  7. Vince

Vince Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I don't see how Terminal's easier, either way you have to put the file into a specific iPod directory but with the autoinstall you just reboot whereas otherwise you have to input terminal commands. However it is a lot more reliable.

Also I wanted to try this out (namely to see if what iThemer said worked) and the Index of /repo/2debs/ contains nothing but a link going up to the parent directory, which is also lacking in files.
  8. ish1tsn0w

ish1tsn0w Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    nice when cyder sucks.
  9. theiThemer

theiThemer Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Cyder 2... does not
  10. jmwerkus

jmwerkus Active Member