[TUTORIAL] How to change you app icons

Discussion in 'iOS Themes and Customization' started by RyuVincent, May 21, 2010.

1. RyuVincent

RyuVincent New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Just figured this out for those who are interested.
    Apps required-You've got two options
    1. Open SSH
    2. (The way I use) Total Commander (you need the t-pot plugin Here's the link ^_^: http://code.google.com/p/t-pot/downloads/list , then download the second file, after you download go into total commander and go to configuration, options, find the plugin option on the right hand side and click .WFX plugin and find the t-pot plugin and then go to right below file and click the object which pulls down and click network neighborhood then click t-pot, and on another note you might want to download, I THINK IT'S mobile Substrate (I WILL MAKE SURE THIS IS THE RIGHT FILE OR NOT, I KNOW YOU NEED SOMETHING INSTALLED ON YOUR IPOD TO LET TOTAL COMMANDER GO EVERYWHERE ON YOUR IPOD) on Rock or Cydia, it lets you go everywhere on total commander instead of Media folder only)
    3. (Optional) IFile
    OK Now make your way into mobile, then go to applications.
    You will now get a list of a bunch of letters and numbers, these are your apps
    Now this part can be annoying, you must find the folder which hold your app (in the folder it gives the app name, might be abbreviated)
    Now in that app folder (NOT THE NUMBER AND LETTER FOLDER BUT THE APP FOLDER, it's inside the number and letter folder) find the picture which is what the app icon is, it is usually icon.png OR the app name IT MIGHT BE SOMETHING ELSE, I've had one where the icon was icon.png, another one was the-app.png, and one where it was totally unrelated
    OK now that you found the icon get it to your computer (total commander or open SSH) and edit it to whatever you want (YOU MIGHT WANT BACKUP THESE PICTURES AND PUT THEM IN A BACKUP FOLDER IF THINGS DON'T WORK OUT) and on that note you might want to get Paint.NET, a personal picture editor I use but you can use whatever you want
    THEN you put the picture which you have just finished WITH THE SAME EXACT NAME where the original one was and respring
    AND Viola
  2. CocaCola

CocaCola New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Umm.

So, why can't we just WinSCP -> F5 -> Replace the icons?
  3. Theodosius

Theodosius Active Member

Device:
    iPad 3
    Just wondering, why not use winterboard?
  4. Naveen121

Naveen121 Well-Known Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    This is another way to do it. Especially if a certain theme doesn't have an icon for a specific app or if you want to personalize them more by changing the icons.
  5. Axis

Axis Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    If a certain theme doesn't have an icon for a certain app, you can easily edit the theme, giving you greater flexibility. While the method described in this thread works, it is not terribly practical.

edit: with winterboard, you can also apply multiple themes at once, so instead of editing a theme like I mentioned above, you could create a "mini" theme with a few extra icons, and apply it with the original theme.