[Tutorial]How to add transparency using GIMP

Discussion in 'Graphics, Design, and Photography' started by David., Apr 26, 2009.

1. David.

David. Active Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Ok, this is mainly for creating boot logos for your iPod Touch for users who don't use Photoshop. Problems, questions, suggestions, or comments are welcome.

Step 1: You need to download the program GIMP

Step 2: Open an image you want to be your custom boot logo.

Step 3: Now, you're going to need to resize this by clicking on the Tab called Image > Scale Image. It will bring up a box to resize it. Type in 320 for the width and 480 for the length. Now, notice the drop menu directly to the right. Change both Length and Width to pixels. Also, you will see two chain links. Click on them to make them seperate. Click Scale.

Step 4: Now, you will have to add transparency. Click on Layer > Transparency > Add Alpha channel. If it is grayed out, then don't worry.

Step 5: I haven't found an easier way to do this so just bare with me. Make a small dot to where you can barely see it in a color different from your boot logo. Then right-click on the image in any spot. Go to select > from color. Click on the dot you made. Make sure the dot color isn't any color in your logo. It should have a small outline on it. Now right-click anywhere on the image, go to Edit > Clear. This will make it transparent.
    Note: You should put the dot in a corner.

Step 6: Saving. Now go to File > Save As. Save it something like BootLogo.png. Make sure it is a png or it will not work. Then, a menu will come up saying PNG format cannot handle multiple layers. It will have two options at the bottom. Make sure the bottom one is filled in. Click export. Now another menu will come up with multiple boxes checked. Do not uncheck any, just make sure the boxes Save background color and Save color values from transparent pixels are checked. Click Save.

Step 7: You have three options on this step.
    Option 1:
    Plug in your iPod Touch into your computer. Sync the boot logo you just made with your iPod Touch or iPhone. then use LogoMe to change the boot logo. DO NOT USE LOGOME IF YOU HAVE NOT JAILBROKEN WITH REDSN0W .3 BETA OR QUICKPWN .3 BETA OR ARE ON A 1ST GENERATION IPOD TOUCH
    Option 2:
    Upload the png to an image hosting site. Then use LogoMe to flash it. DO NOT USE LOGOME IF YOU HAVE NOT JAILBROKEN WITH REDSN0W .3 BETA OR QUICKPWN .3 BETA OR ARE ON A 1ST GENERATION IPOD TOUCH
    Option 3:
    Use QuickFreedom to make a NOR-Only IPSW with the custom logo. Then, restore your iPod Touch/iPhone to that IPSW.

Links:
    QuickPwn/Redsn0w Beta .3
    QuickFreedom
    NOTE: QUICKPWN BETA .3 AND REDS0W BETA .3 ARE ESSENTIALLY THE SAME THING

Thank you for viewing. This has been my first guide and is intended for users without Photoshop. If you have any problems, questions, suggestions, or comments, feel free to post.

Message to moderators: On Step 7, Option 3, I have said to create the NOR-Only IPSW. I know the rules are not to distribute modified versions of Apple's IPSW, but please inform me and I will take that option out of my guide. Thank you.
  2. David.

David. Active Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Sorry to bump but I think this should get a sticky, took a lot of time and effort. :\
  3. timidestemu

timidestemu New Member

this worked ive been looking for so long thanks alot man.