[Tutorial] Fade Ringtones in/out (Windows)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jalexis4192, Aug 5, 2009.

?

Has this tutorial helped you out in any way?

1. Yes, Nice and simple to understand!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No, Needs to be Simpler!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. No, But the video did!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. jalexis4192

jalexis4192 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Heres a link to a Video Tutorial that i made: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NA61JkXKWm0 *If this counts as Advertising, tell me, ill take it off.

Alright, well, this is my first tutorial, so bare with me please =) Also, if its been made, just tell me, ill delete it, i did a fast search and didn't find anything, so im posting it.

To make a basic ringtone without paying for it, you need to firstly make a song into the .M4R format, which is a simple process for some people, if not, read on. =)

To begin, you'll need:

iTunes (duh?)
    Windows Movie Maker

Step 1:

Go into iTunes, Click Edit, then go down to preferences. There, go to import settings, and select it to import with the ACC encoder (.m4a).

Please Register or Log in to view images

Step 2:

Next, select your song, and select the section of the song that you want as your ringtone.

Step 3:

Next, convert the song that you modified into an ACC File, by right clicking on the song, then going down to "Create ACC Version".

Step 4:

Now drag your new song into your desktop, and open Windows Movie Maker.

Step 5:

Drag the song on the desktop into windows movie maker, then into the film strip.

Step 6:

Add the Fade in/out effects to your song.

Step 7:

Now publish the file to your computer. (Trust me) Rename it if you want, since it'll be easier to find in itunes when you import it again, click next, and wait for it to be published to your computer (Should take only about 20-30 seconds depending on the song).

Step 8:

After it gets published to your computer, drag the .Wma file into itunes (Say that you want to convert it to the ACC format), and it'll begin to convert it, then its going to show up in itunes (what ever you named it in Step 7).

Step 9:

Now its gonna get a bit tricky, so stay with me.

Drag the newly imported file back into your desktop, and change the file extension to ".m4r".

Step 10:

Now, if you did everything right, simply double click the ringtone and it'll show up on the ringtones tab of itunes.

Step 11:

Sync the ringtone to your phone, then go to Settings -> sounds -> and find your ring tone, select and set it.

To Sync tones to you ipod, you HAVE to have it jail broken, open up your SHH program, and go to Library -> Ringtones (Also works for iPhones if itunes wont for some reason sync the ringtones).

End Notes:

- Keep your ringtones under 40 seconds, i'm not really sure if it can go over that depending on file sizes or not, just know that i had a 44 second song and it wouldn't sync.

- To get the type of file (File extensions at the end of anything ex. ".jpg", ".m4a", ".m4r"), go to Start -> Control Panel (Change it to classic view) -> Folder Options. Here go to the view tab, scroll down a bit and UNCHECK the "Hide Extensions for known file types" option, and now you can see the file types.

- Mac users can use Garage band to get the Fade in/out, i don't have a mac, so i cant show you how, but i'm sure you can go on youtube and find out how to.
  2. jalexis4192

jalexis4192 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Posted a video tutorial on youtube for added aid. =)
  3. Skrappy213

Skrappy213 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    nice tutorial but this is more simplier does all that job for u all u need do is upload song,choose ur 40 seconds,save ur ringtone,double click ur ringtone n finally sync it to
    ur phone
    http://audiko.net/
  4. jalexis4192

jalexis4192 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    My Opinion/Review:

Don't know if its my internet speed, or something, but:

So far, i think id be easier to buy a song off itunes (With protection), write it to a disc, import it to itunes, and do the tutorial, because, mean, my method to someone that knows takes less then maybe 2 minutes (Considering you know the song and the part you want), while with this.. i'm still waiting for the track to upload, download and to process.

After it got finished and uploaded and such, the work is easy, but my thing is it takes way too long to get to the actual song edit menu, in the time it took it to upload, i went and made the same ring tone with my method on itunes... But were all entitled to our opinions, and i like my mine better, since I FIND IT TO BE A MUCH FASTER PROCESS.