Tutorial: Editing Application Tag/Display Name

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by LtAreaFish117, Jun 20, 2010.

1. LtAreaFish117

LtAreaFish117 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I recently Jailbroke my iPod Touch, and as you might have guessed, I’ve downloaded many applications. The problem is, some of the applications either have really strange metadata tags, or no tags at all. Therefore, there isn’t a name, rating, genre, etc. The display name for the application was also really messed up. iTunes won’t let you change these tags, and most internet forums tell people to download some app from Cydia to do this. Anyways, I found a way around this, so you can edit the tags for the .IPA file directly. To do this, you’ll need several programs:
    - WinRAR
    - Plist Editor
    - iTunes (Duh)

A Couple of Things to Note:
    - The programs were compiled for a Windows XP computer. If you’re on a Mac or something, you’ll need to find different programs.
    - Back up your original .IPA file, just in case something goes wrong.
    - Downloading pirate apps is illegal, so don’t do it.
    - On my computer, Notepad can kinda work with the .PLIST files to some degree, but I suggest you use Plist Editor.

Step 1: Install all these programs, if you don’t have them yet. Open up the .IPA file (your application) with WinRAR. Usually, there is one folder and two files in it. Extract the file iTunesMetadata.plist. If it isn’t there, I have a uploaded a simplified one of these to zShare, available here.
    There were over 100 lines of code in the original file, so I did you a favor and narrowed it down to the important ones.

Step 2: Open up iTunesMetadata.plist with Plist Editor. Edit the tags in this file as necessary. If you download the simplified file I uploaded (Step 1), you’ll see that I’ve deleted many tags. I deleted stuff like copyrights, download date, and version number, but kept more relevant stuff like the name of the seller, whether it’s a game or application, the name of the game, the age rating, and the genre. In my document, I have replaced these tags with what you should include, e.g. where you should put the seller, I have put ‘(Seller)’, so just change the value in between the <string> thingies to the desired display name. Change anything in parentheses. When you’re done, replace the original iTunesMetadata.plist file with the edited one.

Step 3: Now, you’ve successfully edited the tags that show up in iTunes. However, you still need to edit the display name (the name that shows up on your iPod Touch). Open up the .IPA file again, with WinRAR. Open up the ‘Payload’ folder. There should another folder. The name varies based on the application, so I can’t really specify that. Just open whatever folder you find in ‘Payload’. Now, there should be a bunch of random files, with lost of funky extensions and stuff. Ignore then, and look for Info.plist. That’s the file you need to edit. Open it up with Plist Editor, and look for this line of code:
    <key>CFBundleDisplayName</key>

Below it, you should see something like
    <string>(Original Display Name)</string>

Change the value in between the <string> thingies to the desired display name.

Replace the old Info.plist file with the new one.

Step 4: All done! Just add your new .IPA file to your iTunes library, and everything should be fine.

Hope this helps you.

EDIT: I just saw the other tutorial about application name changing, but I would like to add that this tutorial differs from the other, as a different technique is used here. I am showing how to change the .PLIST files, thereby editing the source material of the application metadata.
  2. p G x keBAbz

p G x keBAbz New Member

3. LtAreaFish117

LtAreaFish117 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    No problem, glad I could help. Good luck with this.

Please Register or Log in to view images

4. Torc95

Torc95 Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Thank you I liked when you wrote how change the name Thanx

Please Register or Log in to view images

5. CarlosTheJackl

CarlosTheJackl Member

See here is where I am confused.
    The only way to get the meta-tags incorrect is if you didn't download the .ipa file from the App Store....

Correct me if I am wrong.
  6. SR Alex

SR Alex Guest

WHERE DO YOU PUT "iTunesMetadata.plist" file in the whole .IPA structure???

You forgot to mention, if there was no "iTunesMetadata.plist" file in the whole .IPA structure, where do you put it once you've done with editing it and putting the desired values inside??? I played around with WinRAR and .IPA files and found out that you put this "iTunesMetadata.plist" file in the same folder as "iTunesArtwork" file, i.e. the first folder of an .IPA file strucure.
    Also, sometimes the editing of the .IPA files doesn't work with WinRAR, and you have to completely extract everything in a folder, add or edit files and then create another archive by selecting all the folders and hitting "Add to archive...", but in the settings YOU HAVE TO CHOOSE "ZIP" type of the archive and then, after it's done and created, rename the extension back to .IPA - only ZIP archives work as .IPA files, RAR kind doesn't!!! Hope this stuff helps... SR Alex!)
  7. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

?

Carlos The JackAss:

This is about the how to make a crakced! app work, which don't grow in AppStores. So, your point was??
  8. corneilli

corneilli Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Just download rename II
  9. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Help ???

Very helpful tutorial !

Once finished all these steps, do you drag the rar or ipa file into itunes ready for sync because i tryed to sync the rar one that i had put on itunes and it didn't work ???

Is it because my ipod is out of date, i think it is a ipod touch 2.1.1 or something, if this is the problem i will just buy the update ???

Please reply quick i want some apps to play haha .
  10. kokushka

kokushka New Member

Synching Itunes to IPAD after changing the user name

After following all the instructions in the above thread, I was able to reconstruct a new IPA file, by zipping all three files together, while ONLY changing the user name as suggested above (there was no need to change the Application name as it remained the same).

ITunes accepted new IPA file, and I checked with right click in "Get Info" that the user's account has changed. But AFTER the syncing process with IPAd complete, it reported error that this file was not able to sync due to a FATAL error (it gave the code of the error starting with E8000).

How can I fix this problem. Is this perhaps that the OS has changed from the time that the original application was purchased until the time that I was changing the user account data (such as OS 3.2 to 4.2.1 etc).

Or is there any other reason for this error code and how to fix it.

MY IPAD IS NOT JAILBROKEN !!

Many thanks