[Tutorial] Change SMS Tones

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by leadergo, Feb 19, 2010.

1. leadergo

leadergo Active Member

Aug 2, 2008
    I figured how to do this trick a while ago, back on 2.1, and it seems to be working all the way up to 3.1.3, so I decided to write a tutorial on how to do it. Changing SMS tones is really simple to do.

1. You are going to need an .mp3 sound which is around 3 seconds long (try not going over 3 seconds or it won't be great).

2. Now that you have an .mp3 sound, go to iTunes and add this sound to your library.

3. Right click > create .aiff

4. Find the .aiff file on your library and find the file in either Finder or Windows Explorer.

5. Rename the entire file to this: sms-received#.caf (the # sign will be changed later)

6. SSH into your iPhone to /System/Library/Audio/UISounds

7. You will have to replace any preloaded SMS sound on your phone. (For example, if you don't need Bell, you would replace the # symbol with 5. If you don't need Glass, you would replace the # symbol with 3. The SMS sounds are in numerical order. For now, I'm going to assume I'm replacing Bell, so the filename will be renamed again to sms-received5.caf)

8. Drag the newly created tone into the UISounds folder and replace the old one completely.

9. Once that's done, go to Settings > Sounds > Text Messages > and select Bell as the tone. Notice that Bell is your new tone for SMS sounds.

That's pretty much it. Not only can you do this with SMS sounds, but with other sounds like the lockscreen sound, record video sound, camera shutter, and stuff like that. Stay away from the .dtmf sounds (those are the sounds for the numbers in Phone), I'd leave them as is and never touch them. Do note that you will have to replace the entire file while keeping that same name that it originally was using.

Hope this answers the many questions regarding SMS tone changes.

---For those that jailbroke with Blackra1n and cannot SSH into their device, install afc2add from Cydia. That should clear the SSH issue.---