[Tutorial] Change login background

Discussion in 'Computing, Science, and Technology' started by rofl., Mar 8, 2010.

1. rofl.

rofl. Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Change Login Background
    How to change your Window's login background.

Introduction
    I have always wanted to know how to change my background picture for my computer to match my theme or wallpaper. The following is a step by step tutorial on accomplishing just that.​

Things you will need:
    • A laptop or desktop computer
    • Common knowledge of computers
    • Windows OS (I have only tested this on a Windows 7 computer, though.)

Tutorial

To begin, click on the Windows icon (start) on your computer's screen and in the search bar (or run), type in: regedit. Access the following location just like you would in explorer:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Authentication\LogonUI\Background

Once there, you should see two actions listed.

Please Register or Log in to view images

Drag image to tabs to see larger version.

Double click on OEMBackground and change the value from 0 to 1. 0 means that it is not on, 1 means that it is. Close out the registry editor.

Open your explorer right clicking on the Windows logo on the bottom left of your computer's screen and clicking on "open windows explorer." Copy and paste this location into the top bar:

%windir%\system32\oobe\info\backgrounds

You should now be greeted with other default wallpapers. To use your own, copy a wallpaper-sized JPG into the folder and name it to "backgrounddefault.jpg" Since there should be a file located there that has that name, change the file's name to anything else.

Now, log-off your account to see the the difference!
  2. Best Name Ever

Best Name Ever New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
  3. rofl.

rofl. Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Didn't know there was one....

Oh well.