[TUTORIAL] AVR iPod 2G dongle DIY guide

Discussion in 'iPod touch 2G Jailbreak: redsn0w, 24kpwn, etc.' started by Ius, Feb 27, 2009.

1. Ius

Ius New Member

Hi all,

I've been working on an iPod 2G redsn0w dongle, and have written a guide on how to create your own. Some soldering and embedded electronics are (of course) involved, so you shouldn't be afraid of either. A quick diagram of the hardware can be found below, full instructions can be found at http://pargon.nl/?p=3.

Please Register or Log in to view images

I've noticed that someone else has posted a DIY guide as well. While I haven't fully read his yet, I suppose both guides should work - one of the differences being the fact that I use an AVR as opposed to a PIC. It's like apples and pears - whichever you prefer (apples?) - the software, code and hardware involved just won't be compatible. I'd advise you to read both and choose your destiny.

Comments and question are welcome.
  2. unknown1337

unknown1337 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Thanks for the info dude.I have no expirience with this as I'm only 15. Is it possible for you to put this on eBay?
  3. NobleRooster

NobleRooster New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
  4. Ius

Ius New Member

I'm afraid not (yet). In order to make it really portable and a little less fragile a real PCB would have to be made, and all components would have to be replaced by their SMD counterparts. Soldering multiple dongles by hand gets a little tedious too. Also there's still the problem of no power being available at the iBoot stage (to my knowledge). Mainly the guide is meant for those interested in tinkering with the hardware side of things, it's not (yet) a easy to use dongle.

Yes it's supposed to boot it. I haven't been able to personally verify it, as I do not own an iPod 2G, but on my 1G it issues the 'bgcolor' command instead, changing the background colour on screen, which works just fine.

Programming the IC is described on the blog, you will need an AVR programmer - the cheapest requires just a parallel port, a connector and a few resistors.
  5. NobleRooster

NobleRooster New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Yea, I jumped the gun a little too early and didn't read fully through the linked guide. lol

I'll look into this, being an electrical and computer engineering major at my Uni., I love building stuff like this, so I might havea go at it in the near future.

Please Register or Log in to view images

Thanks!
  6. simonrichards150

simonrichards150 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    There is a 3.3v supply on pin 18, are you saying this is not active at boot time?
  7. Ius

Ius New Member

I did not measure anything from pin 18 to GND while my iPod was in recovery mode. Adding a LED showed that it was powered whilst the actual OS was booting up - too late. The other tutorial however claims that it can be used (but the PIC required 5V). Can anyone report their findings on pin 18?
  8. Alok

Alok New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    lmao
    I'm 13 -high five-
    I would buy one for like $20
  9. unknown1337

unknown1337 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I know xD. Nitrokey is triple that -_-
  10. MuscleNerd

MuscleNerd Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I've actually found that the accessory resistor from pins 1 to 21 is unnecessary. I guess it's used by applications inside the full O/S but iBoot doesn't care.