[TUTE] Jailbreaking iPod Touch 2.x

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 2.X Jailbreak' started by iLINUX, Dec 16, 2008.

?

Did this help

1. Yes

3 vote(s)
    37.5%
  2. No

5 vote(s)
    62.5%
  1. iLINUX

iLINUX New Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (White)
    This guide is meant for complete beginers ive went around looking for countless tutorials to no prevail so I did the old fashioned trial and error approach.

Files Needed

QuickPWN 2.2 (quickpwn22)
    iPod Touch 2.1 Firmware (iPod1,1_2.1_5F137_Restore.ipsw)
    iTunes 8 (iTunes801Setup.exe)

1. First thing first, download the 2.1 firmware (its pretty big 250MB).

2. Connect your iPod Touch to your computer via the USB cable

3. 'Restore' the firmware. Hold down the 'SHIFT' kep and click 'Restore', find your firmware and click open.

It takes a while dont worry

4. Exit iTunes and kill all iTunes/iPod/Apple related processes via the Windows Task Manager (CTRL + ALT + DEL) and look under the processes tab.

5. Make sure you still have your iPod Touch connected and open QuickPWN 2.2. Click the blue arrow on the bottom right corner.

Click browse and find the downloaded firmware, then click the blue arrow.

Check Cydia/Installer and if you want a pineapple instead of an apple check the boot one too (it's optional)

Now you need to follow the onscreen instructions.

Tips

The 'Home' Button is the circle at the front and the 'Power' button is the one at the top.

Heres an image i found

Please Register or Log in to view images

Source: http://rc.vc/

Keep in mind to hold the buttons for the correct length of time each request your told.

I had to do this process a few times because I didnt hold them down long enough.

If you need any help feel free to ask. If there is something wrong with the tute than say so please it's pretty late here and im feeling a bit tired.

Feel free to post this tutorial anywhere as long as you credit me as a source. So far ive posted it on iPod Touch Fans and Syntax Error
  2. Meikura

Meikura Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Not bad, but you may run into trouble with this:

• The posting of illegal/pirated material [3 points / 1 strike]
    • Making posts about how users can PM you for a cracked app (includes firmware 2.X)
  3. Apple Guy

Apple Guy Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    What's a tute?

jk
  4. crimsondynamo329

crimsondynamo329 Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Which one is it?!?! I'm so confused!! Jk, but you may want to clarify that

Please Register or Log in to view images

5. sprint_user

sprint_user New Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    Ehh, we have enough of these threads
  6. iLINUX

iLINUX New Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (White)
    17/12/2008

Fixed: Firmware version.
    Fixed: Where to find firmware.
  7. cfw123

cfw123 New Member

What's the advantage of jailbreaking the iPod touch? What does it do for you? Does it mean can't get Apple's support anymore once you do that? I don't think Apple likes that. I undestand why it's important for the iPhone to avoid the absurd AT&T monthly fees, but the iPod doesn't have any of that, so before i do a jailbreak, I need to know what the pros and the cons are. Charles Wilkes
  8. spoonforknife

spoonforknife Retired Moderator

1. You get a lot of stuff that Apple doesn't want you to get. You get themes, you get emulators, you get PocketTouch, App Launchers, Mobile Substrate, SpringBoard add-ons, a knowledge of the device that you are using, and the satisfaction that you are not giving in.
    2. See above.
    3. You can get Apple support. My home button broke. I restored. I got a new one. I called Apple support, I emailed them. I got support. I got 5 free iTunes credits.
    4. You may want to read the iPod touch User's Manual, a sticky in the General section.
  9. crimsondynamo329

crimsondynamo329 Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Unfortunately, if your profile info is correct, you cannot jailbreak your ipod (yet). There is not yet a jailbreak method for the second generation ipods.
  10. iLINUX

iLINUX New Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (White)
    You can install 3rd party applications and thus meaning possibilities are endless.

Look what happened to the PSP Homebrew scene, it's massive and yet Sony discourages the ability to 'unlock' the devices full potential because of piracy concerns.