[TUT] How to backup your music from a ipod (not touch) [MAC]

Discussion in 'iPod classic, nano, etc.' started by Cheat_Code, Sep 17, 2009.

1. Cheat_Code

Cheat_Code Member

Device:
    iPhone
    Well I recently got asked to backup someones ipod so if something happens to there computer they wont have problems getting there music back.
    Well after some long searching, Ive noticed almost 99% of the ipod rippers make you pay, or have a 100 song limit. I wont say that's bull sh*t because they deserve the money for making the gui and sh*t.
    So i look into a way of doing it manually. I noticed with my Disk Inventory X app, That when I looked into the ipod there was hidden folders. After some more googling, i found out how to make hidden folders viewable on a mac. (at least i know leopard and snow leopard works) To get it to show hidden folders you must enter this in to terminal (applications/utilitys/terminal):
    Code:
    defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE
    Then hit enter.
    Then type this:
    Code:
    killall Finder
    Wait for finder to reboot and make sure you have your ipod in disk mode.
    You will see the ipod in finder, Double Click on it.
    You will see iPod_Control and it looks lighter than the rest. Thats because its hidden. Double Click on it.
    You will see Music. Double Click on it.
    Then you will see a bunch of Fxx. You can try to Command+A to select all then drag to your Desktop or desigated location, But that wouldnt work for me for some reason, So I selected them all and hit enter which opened them all and selected all of the files in a folder and draged to a designated location then closed the Fxx folder window. But after all of that You will see some weird .m4a .m4p .mp3's (Like ex. TFSF.mp3 ) Once you add to itunes by draging and droping the home folder that you placed the music in,(~/desktop/Jakes_iPod/Musicfiles.mp3) it fixes the names. All album art and lyrics and info should still be intact.
    That should back up all your files. Now remember that this is for backing up. DO NOT STEAL OTHER PEOPLES MUSIC FROM THERE IPODS USING THIS.
    Thanks,
    Cheat.
  2. Nburnes

Nburnes Well-Known Member

Device:
    OnePlus One
  3. Cheat_Code

Cheat_Code Member

Device:
    iPhone
    Well I Googled "iPod music rippers mac"
    And it never came up with this open source software.
    But some people like having that feeling of doing it manually.
    I would rather do this than let a program that some guy i dont know develop. And seems to have no backing from any big name. No offence to any devs that take this wrong.
  4. Nburnes

Nburnes Well-Known Member

Device:
    OnePlus One
  5. Cheat_Code

Cheat_Code Member

Device:
    iPhone
    Then why in the hell did I not see that on google.
    But what ever.