[Turorial] How to change the name of stock apps on your iPod

Discussion in 'iOS Themes and Customization' started by zekegeek, Jun 17, 2010.

1. zekegeek

zekegeek New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Please note that I have not yet figured out how to do this with jailbroken and App Store apps yet. I'll edit this post if I do.

Please Register or Log in to view images

And also note this is my first tutorial!

Okay, this is a pretty useless tutorial but pretty intresting all the same. And it's possibly the easiest mod besides jailbreaking itself. Let's begin.

WARNING! Before you start, turn off any Winterboard themes that affect the app name that you are going to change. I had some problems with this in the past, and I had to restore. You don't wanna know.
    1. Navigate to /System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app/English.lproj/ through iFile or WinSCP. If you have your iDevice in a different language other than English, don't go to English.lproj, just go to the one that has your language.
    2. Open up LocalizedApplicationNames.strings.
    3. Go to whatever stock app name you wanna change, and replace the name with your new one. I changed Safari to Firefox by changing "com.apple.mobilesafari"="Safari"; to "com.apple.mobilesafari"="Firefox";
    4. Respring your device.
    5. That's it! Easy, huh? But there's one more thing. Your WinterBoard icons may not work right. You need to go into the themes, then the icons folder, and for example, if you changed Safari to Firefox, rename the icon that says Safari to Firefox.

Please ask me if I wasn't clear enough. I did this on my iPod in like 10 min. And I'm not on iPTF that much, so bear with me. :|

I hope people read that last part.
  2. FortyTwo

FortyTwo Banned

very nice, i was looking for something like this! thanks!
  3. ipodtouch1234

ipodtouch1234 Active Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
  4. zekegeek

zekegeek New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Sorry! You're right. I should've looked. :|