Turning Off All iPhone Data

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by veryniceipod, Apr 8, 2008.

1. veryniceipod

veryniceipod Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    I am going to sell my touch and buy an iPhone. I live in Canada so I'll unlock it and use it on Fido and will most likely be using pay as you go. OK, so is there a way to turn off ALL of the data while on EDGE? Data costs are insane in Canada and I don't want a $200+ bill. However, I would still like to be able to use sms.

Then, while at home, I would use my Wi-Fi for internet, email, TTR, etc. Is what I am asking doable?
  2. simonrichards150

simonrichards150 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I always thought there was an option in settings to turn EDGE off

Please Register or Log in to view images

3. DrewGzy

DrewGzy Active Member

I am in the US and use a prepaid plan. I have never gotten any ridiculous charges for anything. I knew when I was using the Edge feature and the iPhone will tell you how much your previous transaction cost. There is a way to turn "Data Roaming" off and that should do exactly what you want.

Also, this is not a feature that is specific only to the US and their carriers, I know that it works in India also using a pre paid plan.

Hope that helps.
  4. Smansmith

Smansmith New Member

Me and my wife have iPhones and we are in Canada and Data rates (on Rogers) are insane. We don't use Edge anyway - if you don't input your edge settings for your network, you won't get any "surprise" charges. We simply cannot use any network apps when not in wifi, sad but workable in order to save big $$. You can also install Boss Prefs to ensure edge is turned off.

I am not sure if you can use data/edge on pre-paid, but let me know. I am not familiar with Fido plans and such.

Maybe one day Canada will have an official release and get a decent data plan with Rogers. Maybe with the 3G release, but who knows if Rogers will cave and go "unlimited". Also 3G would be even worse for data charges in Canada as you would still have the high rates, but simply be able to reach the charges quicker on a faster network!!

Please Register or Log in to view images