Turn the iPoT into 3G iPhone

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by Pyrofer, Oct 10, 2007.

1. Pyrofer

Pyrofer New Member

I know that not having wifi sucks if you want to browse youtube or facebook when out on the road. Also, with the jailbreak coming 3rd party apps and email will soon demand on the fly data access...

http://www.pyrofersprojects.com/3gipod/

Checkout my site on how to make the iPoT into a 3G iPhone.
    No hacking of the iPoT needed, but you do need other hardware.
  2. jamesybsu

jamesybsu New Member

weird....ill just stick with my phone
  3. hourog

hourog New Member

Well, not exactly a 3G iPhone (no voice)........ but still an interesting hack and a way to use iPod touch out of wifi range. (assuming ur in 3G tower range, which is not a given here in the states)
  4. entmike

entmike New Member

I did this about a week ago with my iPod touch. I have a Verizon x7600 (Apache) Windows Mobile phone. I'm on their fast broadband plan with unlimitted data. I did similar as explained in the link, whereby I turned my Phone into a Wireless Access point (adhoc). The iPod picked it up without a hitch and was able to get on the net immediatly. It works really well.
  5. eskatonia

eskatonia New Member

this is interesting, can a symbian Nokia N80 do this? I have one of those already and it has wifi so if I could share it's gprs connection via wifi to the touch that would actually be useful as the touchs screen is much better for browsing than the N80.
  6. michaelchan0427

michaelchan0427 New Member

Completely useless, carrying two devices around?? Y not get an iPhone instead?
  7. entmike

entmike New Member

Well, I used to be a Cingular (now AT&T) customer and I got ZERO reception at my apartment and switched to Verizon, so not only am I under a contract with Verizon, but even if I wanted to switch back to AT&T, the reception sucks. And even though I can watch YouTube and surf the net on my Verizon phone, the IE web browser is far inferior to the iPod Touch's Safari browser. Besides, most people who own an iPod Touch DO carry a mobile phone with them anyway, thus 2 devices. This method DOES have its use, when you are not near a WiFi hotspot.
  8. entmike

entmike New Member

I don't know what OS the Nokia N80 has, but any phone with Windows Mobile 5 (RKE kit 3 or greater) or Windows Mobile 6 can do this. If it's some other OS like Palm or something, I don't know if you can do it, as I don't know if they have Internet Sharing functionality.
  9. eskatonia

eskatonia New Member

nokia n80 has symbian OS not windows mobile.

there's a lot of hacks and extra apps available for symbian so it might be possible, would like to hear if anyone knows a way to share the 3g data connection in this way on a symbian smart phone.
  10. axw00u

axw00u New Member

Do you know if this means it will work on non-touch screen windows mobile phones, as the article seems to imply it won't work. Any ideas?