iOS 5.0 Turn off iCloud completely

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by Elahrairah, Oct 14, 2011.

1. Elahrairah

Elahrairah Member

Sorry if this is already discussed, I did a quick search and didn't find what I was looking for....

I am about to upgrade from 3Gs to 4s. I do not in any way like the idea of iCloud. I like wireless update (as long as it isn't forced) and wireless sync, but no iCloud.

My data is on my computer and backed up by me and that is all I need. I am a real privacy nut and the idea that "for my convenience" anything I purchase is automatically downloaded to all devices and all my tunes are copied to their cloud makes me mental. Why would I have multiple devices if they are all copies of each other? When I buy an app, it is for that phone only, not my wife's phone, etc. If she decides she wants it, I am capable of syncing it myself.....

So, quick question, is there any way to not have iCloud or the idea of all devices automatically copying what I purchase to all phones? What if I purchase an illicit song, now it's also on my kids phone? That is nuts!

Also, I am going Sprint, and from what I hear, the GSM sim slot will be unlocked "but locked at a future date from an update pushed to the phone". Damn, if it is forced updates wireless, how can I avoid it? I don't care about the sim slot, but the idea of a push update beyond my control is a bit too much. Can't we stop it????

Thanks in advance for any help. I should have my phone within a couple of weeks and would love to have all settings to stop this set long before I make my first call.
  2. bstevenhaagen

bstevenhaagen Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    You can turn off certain features of iCloud that you don't like. Content wouldn't even go to your wife's phone or kids phone, because they should have separate iTunes accounts.
  3. declan1

declan1 Active Member

As far as I'm aware, you aren't forced to update; you have to manually check for updates.

You can turn iCloud off. You don't actually need to do anything, as it is off by default. When you first use the new iPhone it will ask you a load of questions; you just answer 'no' when it asks whether you want to use iCloud or not.

The sim-locking will probably be part of a later software update, so just not updating will prevent it (I presume Apple don't allow 3rd party companies to use their update system to modify phones).
  4. Elahrairah

Elahrairah Member

Thanks, if certain things can be turned off that would be great, but is there anything that is still on that I cannot turn off?

Actually, they are all on my iTunes account. My wife doesn't know anything about how to do this, so I have two playlists from one library to sync to (hers and mine) and as far as movies and apps go, I just select the ones we want and sync... then pop in the next phone and repeat.

Besides, even if I set up another account for her, the ipad is mine and I don't want my phone apps and songs to download to my ipad, it is for a different purpose.

So this being the case, is there any way to stop it?
  5. declan1

declan1 Active Member

Yes. You don't have to use iCloud. It's just there if you want it.
  6. Elahrairah

Elahrairah Member

Thanks for the input, it puts my mind at ease and now I can conquer other things.

However, I am still confused about the "download automatically to all devices" issue. Is that an iCloud thing or is that something else entirely? And if it is something different, can I turn that off as well?

And yes, I was thinking the Sprint GSM lock may be an iOS update, but they said Push and I don't consider Push = update and thought maybe it is a CDSM signal or something and it just stinks how little control of our own devices we pay for we actually have.

Thanks again, you are a lot of help!
  7. declan1

declan1 Active Member

You can easily turn off automatic downloading in your iDevice options.

I wouldn't have thought anybody other than apple would be allowed to push updates to an iPhone, but maybe things have changed.
  8. mobilerisk

mobilerisk New Member