Turn off app launching animation...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by bahamutspirit, Jul 2, 2010.

1. bahamutspirit

bahamutspirit New Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    If you also have Circuitous, this is perfect. If not, install libdisplaystack in Cydia.

Anyways, if you have already done the above (or you already have Circuitous enabled), go to Settings. There should be an option called DisplayController, choose it. Then make sure "Override animations" is On and "Animations" is off.

Now enjoy instant app launching and quitting. Seriously, I have never ever in my life seen any computer do it this fast!!
  2. Antonpup

Antonpup Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    After using this, it makes my status bar disappear...

Please Register or Log in to view images

Note: it may seem that i photoshopped this, but it's just my wallpaper, I changed it so that it looked more like the Apple's Wallpapers, and i disabled them. So yeah.

Attached Files:

3. bahamutspirit

bahamutspirit New Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    Seems like it's not compatible wih iOS 4.0 just yet. A shame really, because it'll make multitasking on iOS 4.0 a lot more enjoyable. I'm actually not sure if it'll disable the app switching animation though.

Actually, I'm not even sure if it'll work for anything other than an iPad... but I can try to find out...
  4. Ryuzaki

Ryuzaki Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Lol. OT but is that iSteamy in your dock? Dirty man.

On topic. Nice. I'll try it out.
  5. narwal13

narwal13 Active Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    LOL. Yup, I saw iSteamy too.

+1?
  6. bahamutspirit

bahamutspirit New Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    So no one else has tried this yet?
  7. Axis

Axis Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    The OS still needs to load the executable into memory and perform the necessary initialization. Removing the animation won't affect that. The app bundle's Default.png may display faster, but the application shouldn't be launched any sooner. To be fair, I don't know much about this, and I haven't used it either.
  8. bahamutspirit

bahamutspirit New Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    I always thought that the animation would shield some sort of initialization behind it as well, and that even disabling it shouldn't make apps launch any faster, but apparently, I was wrong. Apps that are already in the background like Safari or Mail open instantly without any lag at all. You tap the icon and you can already start panning and zooming on the page. Apps that don't stay in the foreground may take a while to initialize, but I noticed that none of them actually initialized any slower than when you had the animation on... hence the surprise.

Closing an app may still lag for about a fraction of a second though. It's noticeable in games.
  9. Axis

Axis Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    Developers can choose to implement a method that is called when the app is about to exit, allowing them to write some data to disk, make a final network request, etc. The closing animation masks this "final work", and gives the user the impression that the app exits immediately when the home button is pressed.
  10. thedj

thedj Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    wow this made my 3GS go so much faster, thanks.