Trying to understand Sync

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Andymans, Dec 3, 2007.

1. Andymans

Andymans New Member

Hi all. I have done a search on the forums but cant find the answer to my problem. Also looked on apple.com and in the downloadable pdf of the instuctions.
    Just wondered if any one can point me in the right direction please.

When I first synched with the ipod I put on several albums and about 5 films. Then a couple of weeks later I collected some more music albums to put on the Ipod and used "Sync all" on Itunes.
    But now all I have on the Ipod are the new albums, all the old ones and my films are gone from my Ipod.
    Cant find them anywhere.
    It seems to have overwritten everything that was on the ipod originally.
    Is this right?
    Am I to understand from this that you have to always have the original films and albums in Itunes or you will loose them when you Sync.
    If so then that means you will always need a spare 16 gb on your computer.
    I can guess some one is going to say no to that, doesnt seem right to me either.
    I deleted the films off my computer hard drive after I put them onto the Ipod to save space on my computer.

If Itunes has not written over them on my Ipod is there some way of accessing the Ipod hard drive to find them?

Ihave 16gb Ipod 1.1.1 firmware not jail broken and I am using windows Vista.
    Thanks for any help.
    Andy
  2. chopshop

chopshop New Member

(1) yes, but...

(2) no, if you click manage music and movies manually on the general(I think) ipod tab, you can keep music on the iPod, but you have to add them manually. Just drag the stuff you want from your itunes library to the iPod icon in the device list. Keep in mind that if you want to remove files, you have to go to the ipod touch>music> and delete them manually in itunes. Also, if you uncheck manage music and movies manual, then everything that's on the iPod but not in iTunes will get wiped.
  3. Andymans

Andymans New Member

Thanks for the quick reply chopshop.
    So its got to be manual sync then if you dont want 16gb of files on your computer. OK, will do that.
    When you say to drag the files from Itunes folder to the Ipod are you reffering to a actual folder in windows as C: my computer, itunes, music.
    I assume I have definatly lost the original films and albums then from the 2nd sync.
    Shame.
    Oh well you live and learn, sometimes the hard way.
    Cheers mate
  4. chopshop

chopshop New Member

Glad to help...

When you plug the iPod in, it shows up in the left side of iTunes. Drag the media you want to add to your iPod onto this icon, whether it be from somewhere on your computer or the iTunes library.