trying to replace my week 37 ipod - but need to schedule a appt. with mac genius? WHY

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by JuniorNA, Sep 23, 2007.

1. JuniorNA

JuniorNA New Member

I have a week 37 touch. The screen problem is VERY VERY minimal...but in certain videos/movies/tv shows, it comes out like a turtle head popping out. Other times its ok. I narrowed the issue down to maybe being a conversion issue when I'm converting from AVI/DIVX to MP4. So i went to the itunes store and downloaded EVERY free tv show I could fine. prison break, K-ville...etc.

They are probably the best quality I could fine since they are from itunes and preconverted. I used them as my comparison.

Sometimes it's silouhettes, adn other times its fine. The same picture will look different if I play it a 2nd time, 3rd time, etc.
    One time its ok, next time its not.

I called apple store to see if they know about the screen problem, and they said I have to make a reservation with a MAC genius at the genius bar to see if the problem is really there, and in order to get it replaced, I have to do that.

i asked her if everyone that called the store has to do that, and she said this is the policy right now since they dont know which batch or weeks have been affected by the bad screen.

I have a week 37, with Macy Gray on the front of the box (8 gig).

I'm scheduled tomorrow at 7:45pm. But its just annoying. I wanted to rant because I've heard of other people just walking in and getting it replaced, and here in NJ, I have to make an appointment for free diagnostic...etc.

sucks.

</Rant Ended>
  2. AlliPodHax

AlliPodHax New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    shucks, man, i feel for you, i hope mine is ok, its coming on tuesday, lol.

Cheers,
    Ben.
  3. pballa2099

pballa2099 New Member

i bought mine from bestbuy and it had teh problem they just swapped it out with a week 38 ipod no questions asked
  4. Mustachio

Mustachio New Member

yea i heard bestbuy will swap no questions asked... but apple made me go see a genius before they would swap it... oh well, just the way its gotta be i guess
  5. AlliPodHax

AlliPodHax New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    they are doing that because there's too many people returning their iTouch's for no reason,

Cheers,
    Ben.
  6. Mustachio

Mustachio New Member

woops forgot to add this in the last post.

you just return it to apple and you will get charged a restocking fee of 10%. seeing the genius will allow you to bypass that. It makes sense for them to do it that way so they dont just have people returning opened packages that they then have to rewrap. A little annoying perhaps, but not too bad.
  7. Falseblue

Falseblue New Member

I hope they sort out the defected from the good by the end of October.

Atleast, they dont make you keep the messed up iPod.
  8. hloakes

hloakes New Member

Can someone explain the 37 and 38 week references?

Thanks
  9. Mustachio

Mustachio New Member

its with the serial number... there have been no reports of the newer week 38's having the screen problem. while at least some of the week 37's have the screen problem if not all of them. you can check by looking at your serial number. week 37s start 9C737, where the 37 is the week, 38s should start 9C738
  10. AJL23

AJL23 New Member

If you call Apple won't they exchange it by mail?