True reception results with actual data to support

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hydropunk, Jun 30, 2010.

1. hydropunk

hydropunk New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/3794/the-iphone-4-review/2

Important parts:

For this next part, it is important to understand that the closer to ZERO you get to, the higher your signal. Keep in mind that these are negative numbers.

So:

***** (-99 to -51) (48)
    **** (-101 to -99) (2)
    *** (-103 to -101) (2)
    ** (-107 to -103) (4)
    * (-113 to -107) (6)

He then goes on to test an ip4, ip3gs, and Nexus One, by cupping it tightly (like one would never actually do, but how people are doing in videos), holding it normally, and holding it in a case.

What he finds is that holding the ip4 tightly means you are losing 24.6 dBm off your signal BUT the Nexus One isn't far behind in the same test, at 17.7 dBm. Holding the phone naturally you lose about 19.8 dBm of signal versus 10.7 on the Nexus One. Finally, with a standard case on it, the ip4 loses 7.2 dBm of signal versus 7.7 with the Nexus One.

So, as you can see, the iPhone 4 definitely does lose a certain amount of signal, but it is basically under extreme conditions.

Hopefully this post helps ease the concerns of those of you who have been on the fence after hearing of signal issues. If you live in an area with poor reception (4 bars or less on your current iPhone), and you plan on not using a case, you might want to rethink the iPhone 4 ... or wait for a possible fix. If that isn't your situation, you should be fine. The reception issue is way blown out of proportion and should not affect 85-90% of users.
  2. DeadlyD™

DeadlyD™ New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Wait, so as long as you have a case, you won't really notice a effect?
  3. tinyman392

tinyman392 Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    Yeah, unless you have really bad signal to begin with, then you might actually need the small amount of signal you lose.
  4. Snowballwarrior

Snowballwarrior Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Very well supported theory! I appreciate that someone has put in the work to actually produce real numbers.
  5. hydropunk

hydropunk New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    No more than any other phone would. The main problem is that the antenna is external AND there is no coating on it to keep your hand from acting as a conductor. When you place your hand over the gap in the lower left, you are basically bridging the two antennas.

By putting a case on it, (or a bumper... or realistically even paint or something), you are no longer bridging that gap and so the problem goes away.

So to answer your question directly, by having a case on the phone, the iPhone performs just like any other phone.
  6. Ezekeel

Ezekeel New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    What are the statistical data you used for reaching this conclusion or did you just pull that number out of your ass?
  7. hydropunk

hydropunk New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Of course I pulled that number out of my ass. That doesn't make it any more inaccurate. If you read the article, it is clear that the signal issue should only affect either:

a) Someone who is very close to not being able to receive signal in their area AND leaves their iphone naked

or

b) Someone who is determined to create an issue and squeezes the phone until they get the desired result. You could liken that test to mashing your thumb in to your LCD monitor and determining that your monitor is faulty. Even still, this isn't even taking in to account that they'd also be holding the phone in a manner that is typically unnatural, but I'm willing to ignore that fact.

My determination was that someone falling in to either group would actually be quite a bit less than 10% of the population. I went with 85-90% to allow some wiggle room.
  8. Ezekeel

Ezekeel New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Someone please sig this.