True Multitasking for iPod touch, iPhone

Discussion in 'Application Ideas' started by csnplt, Mar 20, 2009.

1. csnplt

csnplt New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I would like to make a request for someone to make a system that allows multitasking on the iPhone and iPod touch, i.e. running 2 or more apps at once, and switching between them at will. I am not a very experienced developper, so I would not know where to start in creating some structure that would allow this.

One idea I have though, is to possibly interface with SBSettings in order to change from one app to another (To activate SBSettings, you have to swipe across the status bar in any app). You could probably also launch new apps in this way, since SBSettings allows a "dock" with favorite apps inside.

I know that there are several backgrounder apps, which allow even App Store apps to run in the background when quit, but I'd sure love it if someone went one step further and implemented a way to switch between these running apps without leaving the current application.

I wish that I knew more about the actual coding aspect of this. Tell me what you think. This doesn't need to be amazingly complicated, especially if a process like SBSettings could help and you don't have to write all this from scratch.
  2. Mgssidley

Mgssidley Member

Theres an app called backgrounder. You hold the home button until it says background enabled and then it runs in the background until you turn it off by holding home down for another 3 seconds when its open.
  3. Ex-Touch

Ex-Touch New Member

I think I get what you mean. Do you mean something like Alt+Tab?

Please Register or Log in to view images

4. iamkewl

iamkewl Banned

Yea, iPhone was not made for multitasking

Please Register or Log in to view images

5. Ex-Touch

Ex-Touch New Member

It certainly has the processing power to run a few apps at once.
  6. iamkewl

iamkewl Banned

Maybe the power, but the battery wouldn't last to long running a few apps at once
  7. Ex-Touch

Ex-Touch New Member

The battery lasts about 30 Minutes to an hour when browsing Safari depending on how much you browse. I can play Metal Gear Solid touch for about 20 minutes only losing about 5 - 10 battery power. I also have backgrounded around 2 - 3 apps. When fully charged, I'll listen to music about 2 hours total before going home from school, and I lose 20%. So, running multiple apps at once, doesn't drop it much.
  8. csnplt

csnplt New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Something like Alt-Tab would be great, maybe invoked by a double press of the home button, or maybe a triple press.