troubleshooting 2nd gen itouch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by weel, Oct 15, 2009.

1. weel

weel New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (White)
    Im having issue with a itouch.
    i recieved this to repair. the owner left it in a backpack and it got moisture under the screen. the owner tried to remove the screen thinking he could dry it out, and broke the screen. I have removed the screen and itunes sees the itouch but needs to load fiemware to recognise it. as i load the firmware(which takes way to long) it finally completes and reboots. but it stops on the apple logo each time. i have tried multiple computers and the same result.
    my question is there is no screen attached to the itouch, and i wondering if the unit wont boot because of the missing screen, or if it another issue. i dont want to buy the parts if it is a nonfnctional unit

any ideas..

Bill
  2. pwnthe2G

pwnthe2G Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    What itunes version are you running? and which firmware are you restoring to?
    If you know that itunes can handle the firmware you're using, then try DFU mode, if you don't know how, plug it into the computer, turn it off by pressing home and power for 10 seconds, then only press HOME until the computer recognizes it(up to 30 seconds). It may take many tries, but you can get it done eventually. When this is done, the screen will be black, and itunes will say it detected the ipod in recovery mode. Restore, and post back how it goes.

EDIT: just realized you jailbroke your iphone, so you know the basics. sorry lol
  3. weel

weel New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (White)
    thanks but actually i bought my iphone jailbroke to use on cincinnati bell network.

I can get it in dfu mode easily to restore but after reboot then it stays on apple logo.
    using latest itunes and i think itunes automatically downloaded software. ill have to look.
    Im just wondering if not having a screen/digitizer on it will not let it completely boot.

ill check versions of itunes and software and get back to you

thanks bill
  4. weel

weel New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (White)
    Running the latest version of itunes, i think it is 9.0 just downloaded it and restoring to 3.1.2 i think it was for the ipod firmware. itunes downloaded it for me.
    it is right now updating the firmware, however it has taken almost 1 hour so far and its about 90% done. going real slow. how long should it take to update firmware.
    Should i try a different firmware version maybe 2.2.1 ???

i need to buy a replacement screen for this one. i guess fleabay will work for that.

thanks
  5. jordanianpanda

jordanianpanda New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    i suggest giving it a hard reboot. the same thing happened to me and after i gave it a hard reboot it worked just fine
  6. weel

weel New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (White)
    ok well now..... i think somthing is really messed up now. after it went thru the process of attempting to load the firmware. it hung up at about 95 to 98 percent. it would not finish. so i unplugged the itouch and reset it to try again. i keep going in circles with this one. with it being my first time at this i dont know all the ways to get it working again. battery was charged for at least 8 hours before the firmware upgrade.

Can anybody answer the question, do i need a digitizer connected to the unit to complete the firmware update. if yes then ill wait until the parts come in, if no then i wont order the parts
    Any ideas???????