Troubles with headphone jack?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by himynameisminh, Oct 30, 2010.

1. himynameisminh

himynameisminh New Member

Hey guys, so a little backstory, I've had my iPod Touch 2G since December 2008 and use it every day in a smartphone-esque way. For about half a year to a year now, I've had problems with my headphone jack. I've googled countless variations of my problem and have gleaned that the possibility of dust being stuck in the headphone jack is what is causing my problem, which is that when using headphones, sound is muffled, sort of. To explain: I have tried 3 different types of headphones and have varying degrees of success. My main pair of headphones are muffled when plugged in (also to note, it doesn't feel like the headphone is going in all the way as there is the absence of a kind of click in place. Might be placebo talking), but become crystal clear if I place the connector in such a way that half is plugged in and half is out (i.e. a slight pull of a few millimeters will cause the headphones to disconnect and put the iPod onto speaker mode). For factory iPod headphones that I've tried, the same sort of situation occurs but the way to fix it is to push it in a little more than usual and twist until it becomes clear. I tried cleaning the headphone jack about half a year ago and had success for a day until it went back to normal. I usually listen to music on speaker mode, but as I will be taking a trip this winter, I would like to be able to listen to music without much hassle. Does anybody have even the slightest inkling what is going on?

P.S: Sorry for the long post... Didn't intend for it to be that way.
  2. viet_cong

viet_cong Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Do you have a case on? usally the case is too thick and can block the part of the headphones jacks to stick out.
  3. himynameisminh

himynameisminh New Member

Nope, I have a screen protector and a skin covering the front and back.