Trouble in Paradise - "Ringtone Apps"

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Games & Apps' started by x6blues, Jan 14, 2009.

1. x6blues

x6blues New Member

Overview

• Lower Standards - Ringtone Apps - $.99 apps of lower value
    • Competitive market leading to opposite of the usual effect, Lesser Quality
    • Investment in Quality Applications NOT "Fiscally Responsible"
    • Applications are Stints - Not sustainable
    • Unreasonable Consumer - Starbucks Comparison (above)
    • Interview w/ Craig Hockenberry (Twitterrific) - "Dear Steve Letter (below)

All this while detrimental to the developer, affects us the consumer since companies/developers are ultimately out to make money, so these $.99 with brief appeal will sell, while the application with much time and $$ invested in will not sell. As such, they will not be developing those quality applications, and we get stuck with iPity >_>

I believe Apple should take more steps, with spotlight in individual categories/mainpage. Their owning an app before rating bit was a start, but we need more "Staff Favorites" type things as well as moderation for comments (have a history of killing app sales). This should occur all across the board in my opinion.

Also note, this may be the greatest economic downturn since the Great Depression, many of the target audience are either kids (usually unaffected who still spend on non-essential items/piggyback on their parents or adults who will invest in a quality application. Also, if they have payed for the iPhone w/ the monthly rates then they should be doing fairly well! ​

Source to Main Article

Also,
    Dear Steve Letter
    Source to Letter

So much text, but saves ya the trouble of clicking

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. SkillsToShow

SkillsToShow New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Very interesting read, I also agree that the app store needs to change the way that it is run. Just look at the top 25 apps, most of it is just plain crap or useless. It would be nice to see developers making quality apps that can make it to the top 50 such as Beejive, Tweetie, etc.
  3. x6blues

x6blues New Member

Any other opinions, concerns?
  4. Abcmsaj

Abcmsaj Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    Thanks.
    I'm enlightened -.-