Trouble connecting to Wireless N network?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by adgjqetuo, Oct 24, 2009.

1. adgjqetuo

adgjqetuo New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Hi Guys - newbie here - I just recently upgraded from an ipod classic to a 64gb touch this past thursday. So far I love it, however I'm having trouble connecting to wireless N networks.

When I switch my Apple Airport Extreme to "802.11n (802.11b/g compatiable)" I can see the netowk in my iTouch and successfully connect to it. HOWEVER when I switch the airport to "802.11n only (2.4GHz)" the iTouch still SEES the network, but when I try connecting to it I get the error message "Unable to join the network "M_Wireless_Airport"

I took it back to Best Buy and they said it sounds like a defect and that ALL iPod touch's should connect to wireless N no problem. They suggested restoring the iPod (which I think it weird seeing as it's only 3 days old) - but when I tried that it still gave me the error.

Is this true that it could be defective? Should I trade it in for a new one?

Thanks for all your help with this...

BTW - I'm running 3.1.2 firmware with the 3G iTouch
  2. xinzhitan14

xinzhitan14 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    the chipset in the ipod touch does support 802.11n, however, apple have locked it down to only work with b/g modes.
    the guy at best buy has no idea about the ipod touch, one word of advice, NEVER listen to sales people, they will say what they can to make a sale. Do the research yourself before buying and you can never go wrong.
  3. Teslanaut

Teslanaut Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    iPod touches and iPhones cannot connect to N networks. Even though there is N on the 3rd generation, it hasn't been activated to do so.
  4. adgjqetuo

adgjqetuo New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    That stinks - I hate how apple always puts in hardware that can physically do things, but then they keep away the software that allows it to work.

Is it possible there will be an update in the future that will allow the wireless N to work?

Also, it was Geek Squad who told me it sounds like a defect - not sales guys.