Tritton AX 720 Headset Review

Discussion in 'Audiophiles: Headphones, Earphones, etc.' started by rmc08, Nov 13, 2009.

1. rmc08

rmc08 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    Tritton was willing to send me a sample of the AX 720 headset for me to review here at iPod Touch Fans, so you (the reader) can learn about how well this product works, and to also see if this headset is the right one for you. This is in no way a biased review, nor is it an advertisement in order to get you to buy their product. This review is strictly my opinion!

Please Register or Log in to view images

Tritton AX 720 Headset Review

Visit Homepage

Click Pictures For Higher Resolution!

Unboxing video was supposed to be here, but I accidentally misplaced it. My box pictures have also went missing...

First Impressions and Appearence

I received the Tritton AX 720's in the mail, and when I had seen the headphone box, it was very fancy looking. It has a foldable flap with information about the headset and a window to see the headset's astonishing beauty. When you take the headset out of the box, everything is nice and neat.

The package comes with:
    • Tritton AX720 Headphones
    • Audio/Mic (Pink and Green) Cables
    • Optical Cable
    • Xbox 360 Headset Cable
    • A/C Adapter for Box
    • Box to USB (for PC/PS3 use)
    • User Manual

When I lifted the headphones for the first time, they are extremely light, at least compared to my Turtle Beach AK-R8 headphones. The headphone earcups have a strange rectangular shape, rather than the normal circular shape, but that is what makes these earphones unique looking. The white, glossy color of these earphones makes them standout, and it looks like it is themed off the Xbox 360. Another great thing that I noticed is that the ear cushions are removable, which is VERY nice since they could get dirty, and all you have to do is pop them off and clean them! The headphone 5.1 box is great, and has a ton of buttons on it for the different things the headphones can do.

Build Quality

Time for the quality of these bad boys. These headphones are made of very nice, hard plastic. It's not the kind of plastic that is easily bendable or cracks too easily. The wires are the perfect gauge for the bending and twisting that they any gaming headset would go through, and all the cables are sturdy which is good since the wires will not twist around inside. The remote, too, is substantial, just like the headphones. It is tough plastic that doesn't feel hollow on the inside. I've hit it up against stuff with no scratches or damage, and the switches on it aren't flimsy. The attachment cables (such as the mic and audio input cables) are very good as well. Now I also have the headphone box that controls the Dolby 5.1 surround sound for consoles. It's very light, and the plastic doesn't feel like the greatest quality. The box won't be moving much, but if it accidentally gets pulled off a counter, it could potentially break. The buttons on it don't feel too dense, and the plastic on them feels thin, but the buttons don't shake around so it's not completely bad. Lastly, the detachable mic is made of a very nice quality rubbery plastic. The mic even bends so it can be as close or as far away from your face as you want it.

Comfort

The first thing I did when I got these earphones was plopping them on my head. The comfort is completely different from my AK-R8 gaming headset. First off, I recognized that the Tritton headset was not tight on my head. It was a bit loose, and after being so used to the AK-R8's gripping to my head, it felt like wearing pants without a belt. The cushions on the Tritton headset is also noticeably different from the cushions on the AK-R8's. The Tritton cushions were a bit more firm, but the AK-R8 cushions are nice and soft. Although the Tritton headset may seem bad in the category of comfort, it's looseness is not potentially a bad thing. After wearing both headsets after extended periods of time, I found the Tritton headset to be quite comfortable. But after a few (4-5) hours with the AK-R8's, my ears began to hurt a bit, because it squeezes tighter very slowly over time. Besides that situation, the AK-R8 headset is a bit more comfortable.

Now for the best part...

CONTINUED...
  2. rmc08

rmc08 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    Audio Quality

Let me start with this... Compared to my Turtle Beach AK-R8 gaming headset, these earphones have almost double the amount of bass, and the 5.1 sounds even better than on the "true" surround sound (4 speakers in each earcup) on the AK-R8's. I plopped them on my head, switched the remote to 720 AMP, and plugged them into my Xbox 360 HD Input cable using the optic cable and headset cable included with the headset. The sound was incredible, and the bass from the explosions was perfect! Gunshots and aircraft sound effects sounded a lot better through these headsets than on my Sony 32" HDTV (which is treble/bass mix). The headset really was a breeze to setup, I plugged the voice output right into my controller like a regular headset. From most headsets I've used, the recorded samples I've taken all sound VERY crisp and clear. It is not a boom mic so it does not capture room sounds, and the slits on the mic are only directed towards your face. The microphone on the headset was BETTER than my $50 desk mic, very great microphone indeed!

On the PS3, these worked magnificently! There was the optic cable for the audio, and the special PS3 voice cable for the headset. I simply plugged it in, changed some settings around and I was done. I booted up some Killzone 2, started single player, and I had a completely different experience than I would through my TV. Killzone 2 is a very "explosive" game, might I say. Explosions, gunshots, and yelling throughout every second of them game. It really shows off this headset. I also tried multiplayer on Killzone 2, and I could hear all the players in the room without any problems. Better yet, they could hear me!

Lastly, there's really nothing I have to complain about with these headphones on the PS3, they work flawlessly!

Onto PC... I took the audio/mic cables and plugged them into the front of my computer, and switched the remote to PC. No drivers, and no software, I was done! The only bad part is that if you want 5.1 surround sound on the earphones, you're going to need to use the box. The good thing is that you can use either optical cables or the USB cables to hook it up to the box. I adjusted the headphone and headset volume to my liking, and I booted up some Team Fortress 2. Again, the explosions and gunshots sounded great, and I could hear other players' voices crisp and clear. What is strange, though, is that when you speak, the volume meter appears that there is barely any voice coming through, but in actuality there is a lot coming through. Nothing is wrong with that, but in a way it is actually good because the microphone is sensitive. When using these headphones with music, I found rap and electronic to work best. But surprisingly, I found it to work well with almost all genres of music. I tested alternative, pop, rock, punk, etc. and then all held up very well against these earphones. On another note, these also work on the iPod, and the music sounds great. Playing games is great! Yes, I know the games only support 2.1, but having a gaming headset with an iPod just makes the whole iPod gaming experience better (ex. Resident Evil 4, Need For Speed, Silent Hill, etc). But once again, the bass is compelling to my ears, and makes all games sound better, no matter which one.

Conclusion

These earphones are very good for all level of gamers, such as pros, begginers, and casual gamers, and they work on all consoles except the Wii. The bass is ASTOUNDING and it really makes songs sound very well and detailed, especially since they are made to catch every little detail while you're playing a game. Compared to my AK-R8's, they were wiped away due to the various amounts of devices compatible, and the overall sound. For $120, these are a VERY good value, and I recommend these to anyone that loves to game on the PC, Xbox 360 or PS3.
  3. jhloa2

jhloa2 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    damn nice review
  4. rmc08

rmc08 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
  5. dong1225

dong1225 Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Yep, very good review, I am too lazy to check, is this your first review?
  6. rmc08

rmc08 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    Nope I have made about 10+ haha

btw nice avatar! lucky star ftw :3
  7. mitchell209

mitchell209 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
  8. Vince

Vince Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Hm these were recommended to me by 2 people who currently have the AX Pros, I'd like to have a comparison if it's not too much trouble.

Well written review, the only part that kinda threw me off was at the end, where you said "these earphones are very good for the beginner/intermediate gamer," as a beginning/intermediate gamer I could've cared less about what headsets I had. It wasn't til I started playing with some MLG guys on CoD4 (on PS3) that they recommended getting better ones, specifically Tritton's although a few of them had Turtle Beach's.

Also, since CoD4 was my life (until the new one came out) I'd like to add that these headphones make a tremendous difference in that game. From what other players have said (and have been verified from my experience) you can hear and pinpoint the direction of enemy footsteps because they are amplified through the headset, even with Dead Silence they're clear as day. So it's very close to impossible to sneak up on them.
  9. rmc08

rmc08 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    Yes, the 5.1 surround sound on this headset is FANTASTIC. My other headset has 4 speakers in each cup, but these still work a lot better

I play MW2 on my computer with these, and they do give me a bit of an advantage