tried search, but can't find sufficient answer

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by james_park617890, Apr 1, 2008.

1. james_park617890

james_park617890 New Member

Hi, my question is what exactly is pwnage? All I know is that it is a project from the DEV team. I have watched the preview that they made with an iphone, but I still do not completely understand the idea. I am pretty illiterate in terms of computer. Is pwnage another method of jailbreaking? If so, how is this one more safe and the best jailbreak?

Sorry if I sound naive but unfortunately, computer language is not my forte.
  2. Redshift

Redshift New Member

It enables the user to restore to unsigned firmware files. Therefore, you can edit a firmware file such that it is pre-jailbroken, and hence restoring to that firmware is all you need to do to jailbreak it.

So theoretically, you could edit it to come preloaded with all you're apps and customizations.
  3. james_park617890

james_park617890 New Member

so will this be the jailbreak to rule all other 1000 jailbreak methods there are. I am shocked at the fact that there are so many different types of jailbreak, and none of them have any tangible proof that they are perfect.

thank you
  4. papachango

papachango New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Pwnage:
    a) hacks your iPod
    b) creates custom firmware

Within the iPod boot software, there is somethnig that checks if a firmware is "signed" (legit from Apple) before it loads.

From what i understand, pwnage basically removes this so you can make your own firmware, (with pwnage) and run it on your iPod ... your new custom firware is already "jailbroken"

(or, i guess it's really "born free", as there is no "jail" to break it out of, is there?)
  5. antispartan

antispartan New Member

ok i have a Question (obviously) will pwnage be easyly usable for the average user or will you have to have extensive coding knowledge because if the average person cant use it then it will not be all that helpfull because if you wanted a custom firmware then you would have to ask some one to make it which would become overwelming for those making them so i hope this is focused at the average user
  6. Monkey Jam

Monkey Jam New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    no it has a nice GUI for everyone to use. But i thought it doesnt stop the iPod from checking for signed code, it tricks the ipod into thinking what you are loading is signed code.
  7. Boss Kamikaze

Boss Kamikaze New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    if it was availinle for every1 we would all have a custom firmware with iphone apps and the app store for free
  8. Ryan

Ryan Well-Known Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    No because the app store is not stored there... you have to download from apple as

So yeh... dont think so