Trick Cydia?

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by chickenmatt5, Sep 19, 2010.

1. chickenmatt5

chickenmatt5 Community Development Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Is there a way to have Cydia forget about a package you installed, or tried to install? I did something wrong, IDK what, and now Cydia wants to update 2 things, delete something else, and reinstall another thing. There's so much it tries to to do without success that I can't donwload anything new. I don't want to have to restore again... so, how 'bout it?
  2. amandureja

amandureja New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    You can't 'trick' cydia. But you can find a version of cydia online and then download it, then ssh your cydia out of you ipod and then reinstall it via ssh. if that doesn't work, then ssh cydia out of your ipod and jailbreak again via jailbreakme. if that doesn't work, then i think there's a file in the cydia folder which handles all your sources and packages so you can try deleting that. and if that doesn't work then i'm afraid you're only option is to restore.

good luck
  3. picklejw

picklejw Member

Device:
    iPad
    I know what you mean, can you just "ignore" it or is it one of those you cant instal anything becasue it will do the other things too?
  4. GazaIan

GazaIan Well-Known Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    Reinstall Cydia. I had the same issue, and that was what I did.

... but Cydia basically thought i didn't have crap on my iPod. so some things would be reinstalled like winterboard, since Cydia didn't know it was installed.

If you used jailbreakme, just jailbreak again. Do it at your own risk though, I may have used jailbreakme twice and came out alive, but there's no guarantee that you will.
  5. chickenmatt5

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    What do I delete to remove Cydia? Also, should I delete Winterboard before Cydia? If so, anything else I should delete?
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Okay, before that, where is the Cydia folder? I looked in /Applications/Cydia.app and only found images. Where else does Cydia hide stuff?
  6. sageDieu

sageDieu Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    NO Don't delete Cydia! This is a common problem.
    In either mobileterminal or an SSH terminal simply type "apt-get update" (without quotes) and hit enter. It'll run through some stuff and then when it's finished, reboot and respring and open Cydia. Viola.
  7. thedj

thedj Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    I actually done this without realising it, the first time I jailbroke my 3GS on 3.1.2 I installed lots of things from cydia, and then after I done all that I respringed, and loaded up cydia and all those apps that I installed before do not show up under packages, and I never get updates for them either even though they are available for updates, then after I installed mobile substrate, from then on, any package I download shows up under packages in cydia, but all the stuff I got before I installed that still dont show up under packages, but they all still work fine.
  8. chickenmatt5

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    "E: Could not open lock file /var/lib/apt/lists/lock - open (13: Permission denied)
    E: Unable to lock the list directory"
    Lolwut?

Please Register or Log in to view images

Oh, figured it out. That didn't work.
    Is Rock and its servers still up?
    Okay, Cydia is dead now. I decided to remove the source of the package that was giving me a hard time. Now, Cydia won't display ANY packages or sources. Seriously, I click Manage, Packages and it's blank. Should I just reinstall?
  9. cjainy

cjainy New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I got that error once, then I closed cydia and re-opened it. Problem went away.
  10. dude245

dude245 Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    mobileterminal:
    su
    **your password**
    apt-get update
    apt-get remove
    apt-get install

done