Trial mebership.

Discussion in 'Site feedback, suggestions, and discussions' started by jimbeam, Dec 8, 2008.

1. jimbeam

jimbeam Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Maybe we should use a trial member method? I have seen it used on other sites.

Trial members were limited as to what sections they can post, things like that. New members were monitored for a time to see if they followed the rules and were contributing members. After a month if they fit the bill they were made full members and were given more freedom around the site.

So here trial members could be limited to lets say tech help and the lounge and as time goes by and the prove they will be a good member they are granted access to more of the forum. As a trial member they can still see and search every part of the forum but can not post in some places until they are a full member.

This reduces spam, useless threads random posts and so on...
    Threads like this for example: http://www.ifans.com/forums/...00#post1078100

New users can still use the forum this way but can not piss as many people off and clutter up the forum. It will also teach them to use the search function and help them get a better understanding of the forum, jailbreaking and the community in general, without all the filling the forum with flaming and useless junk.

They could implement a referral system on top of the trial member system. If you know someone that wants to join and you can vouch that they will be an upstanding member then the trial member can be bypassed or more loss. But it will be your responsibility to monitor that member and if he doesn't meet expectations your referrals will be question more from that point on.

If a trial member fails to meet expectations they are denied full membership for another to weeks or band if necessary and can try again for membership in a given amount of time.

What do you think?
  2. thechungster

thechungster Super Moderator Emeritus

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
  3. Teslanaut

Teslanaut Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I hope it doesn't end up the same way as my idea of "Invite Only". Which kind of does the same thing as your idea.
  4. jimbeam

jimbeam Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Invite only is a little to much and will really slow down the growth of the forum.

My suggestion will still allow anyone to join and cut down on clutter, spam and all the other crap at the same time.
  5. Meikura

Meikura Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Well, if it'd keep users like this out, then I'm all for this system.
  6. jimbeam

jimbeam Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    And reduce posts like this!
  7. Meikura

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Would you like fries with your ban?
  8. Meikura

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    No.
    So that's one ban, with extra stop spamming our forum?
    That'll be £5.95.
  9. deleted account 92

deleted account 92 Active Member

It's not a bad idea, but I think it would be too much work to monitor every new member.
  10. murphmanny

murphmanny Banned

i agree with this
    but don't let this thread go into tes' "Invite Only" thread
    the was a disaster
    but i agree that you should get an invite and that you must pass a certain oath in order to register (no not the terms of agreement. who reads that anyways?)