Travelling With Tethered Jailbroken Touch?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Rayzilla, Jan 21, 2010.

1. Rayzilla

Rayzilla New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    So I will be travelling to London and subsequently Singapore next month. My 3G is JB with Blackrain.

Is there any way around the tethered issue when my battery runs out? For example:
    1) Could I use a computer in London to run BR?
    2) Someone mentioned that they used a wall charger and did not have to run BR afterwards. Any others try this?

And if I use a wall charger, is there any issues with the voltage? My iPod is from Canada, but I am using the USB on my computer here in Hong Kong to charge it now and there seems to be no problem but not sure if the case would be the same with the wall charger here or in London. Any comments?

Thanks in advance!
  2. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

1) I can't confirm this, but I read somewhere that you need iTunes to be running to be able to turn your iPod back on.
    2) Never tried this.

But I think the best thing to do to avoid this stuff is to not let it die

Please Register or Log in to view images

And I don't think there will be any problems involving the wall charger/voltage etc.
  3. Rayzilla

Rayzilla New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Hey ChrisL, thanks.

1) I guess that means that it also has to be the iTunes with the account set up for the particular Touch, i.e. the desktop that I have at home?

2) I have the original USB charger, but the outlet adapter that the USB will plug into - is an after market cheap one. How risky is it to use it? Isn't the outlet adapter just simple technology? Meaning low risk???

Thanks.
  4. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

1) I don't think so, I think it just needs one (or more) of the iTunes services running in the background.

2) Not too sure. I've heard from some other sites that their after market chargers started to fry, in a way, and the charger turned all black. So yea, it could be dangerous.
  5. Lolo_Bond

Lolo_Bond New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Don't let go below 15%, once you get to %15 put your ipod in standby till you get to a computer... All I to charge my Ipod is and HTC charger when I can connect the usb cable. works fine! GL!
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Here is what I use, unfortunately this one doesn't come with UK adapter...
    http://www.amazon.com/HTC-Adapter-Charger-Detachable-CNR5310/dp/B001QMOF48
  6. Ouchy_S

Ouchy_S Member

Device:
    Samsung Galaxy S3
    Just take Blackrain off, and put in on again when you get home. Not having Blackrain is better than not having a working iPod.
  7. SpeedyApocalypse

SpeedyApocalypse Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Just bring Blackra1n on a flash drive and then put it on the computer that you are running the Jailbreak on (in this case, to turn your iPod back on). I have had my iPod jailbroken for around a month now and only once have I had to reboot it via the computer (not including when I first installed all of my Packages from Cydia). Just don't let it get low battery and charge it whenever you can and you should be good to go.
  8. Magnum

Magnum New Member

i like speedys mind! do that
  9. narwal13

narwal13 Active Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    You MUST have iTunes on your computer if you are going to reboot. If you ever looked at blackra1n.log after you open it, it says "Contacting Apple Mobile Device Support at /baaldjflajfdj?" <--- it uses a file to boot your iPod into recovery mode im guessing. so make sure you have itunes!
  10. Rayzilla

Rayzilla New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Thanks for all the advice. Taking everything said here into consideration, here is what I am going to do:

1) I tested my after-market wall plug adaptor (purchased from a computer mall here in Hong Kong as there are literally hundreds of these stores) that I will use in conjunction with the original Apple USB charger cable. I checked it every so often to make sure the iPod didn't heat up (and it didn't at all). The adaptor got a little warm but I suspect that is ok? So this will be my first choice of not draining out the battery as I did not have to reboot when I unplugged it.

2)I will do the flash card tip and load a copy of Blackrain onto a flash card in case any reboot problem arises while away. I'll need a USB splitter because my netbook only has one USB connection. Also, will I need to have iTunes set up on the netbook? How do I set up an account in the netbook when my Touch already has an account on my desktop at home? Please excuse my ignorance, I am not that familiar with how the iTunes account set up works.

Please Register or Log in to view images

Thanks everyone!