Travelling with Canadian iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by slAsh, May 7, 2010.

1. slAsh

slAsh Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Hey all,

My wife sprang a quick trip on me to New Orleans and I'd like to use my phone. Problem is for the five days we spend there it's going to cost me a ton on data/roaming (frikkin Rogers)

So I got to thinking, I'm JB'd 3.1.2 with pwanage but not unlocked still at 04.26.08

Is it cheaper for me to unlock and pick up a SIMM down south? if so how should I go about that? I'm not really interested in loosing apps/themes if that's what happens when it's unlocked

All help most appreciated, I leave Saturday.......

Please Register or Log in to view images

/
  2. ripply

ripply Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Jailbreak and unlock then once you come in the US pick up an ATT or Tmobile sim but don't tell them you hae an iPhone because as far as they know an iPhone can't run with a prepaid sim
  3. stanleybridgeboy

stanleybridgeboy New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (White)
    Basically what he said.

Before you cross the border, turn off your iPhone incase of Push notifcations and such (It'll start a $45 fee for using a US network then per KB data rate).

Then roll up to ATT and pick-up a prepaid SIM, say you got an old phone from them that uses a SIM for your birthday or something like that. Anyway, get it activated and load up how much you wanna use, then pop it into your iPhone and your set.
  4. Joe Rossignol

Joe Rossignol Community Manager Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    I believe the OP has already left for his trip as he posted this thread 3 days ago (Friday) and states that he is leaving Saturday. Unless he is talking about next Saturday!
  5. Tkf1

Tkf1 Community Development Staff Member

Device:
    iPad mini
    Oh well. Data roamibg charges for him then!
  6. stanleybridgeboy

stanleybridgeboy New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (White)
    Oh, a little bit too late... Well there's a small chance he checked it before he crossed the border? I mean who knows, maybe he left his house at 8PM one night and drove 2 hours and slept at a hotel 2 hours before the border. Anything could happen.

At-least the thread's here for him and other members to check...