transfering music to new ipod touch...um, how?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Locriana, Jul 2, 2009.

1. Locriana

Locriana New Member

I just got my new ipod touch 2g, and i want to transfer all the music from my ipod nano to it. Is there an easy way to do this?

I don't want to have anything to do with the 'sync' operation. I have always had this disabled for my nano, and i only transfer music via the drag n drop method. This is because most of my music comes from ripping my CDs, and i don't want to keep all of that on my computer -- i keep it on an external drive. So I don't want itunes erasing my ipod if i connect it when the hard drive is not attached.

I don't like syncing at all, its a p.i.t.a. to have to keep everything you want on your ipod on the computer also! Also, I prefer to be able to switch things in and out without deleting them from my hard drive. I have a fairly large collection of songs on the external drive, and only some of them will fit on the ipod anyway. I do have some music and spoken stuff which i purchased from itunes, and that takes up too much space on my laptop already.

Also, we have 2 laptops in the family, and i'm trying to migrate my itunes use from the older one to the newer one. If i connect the new Touch to the old itunes computer, will the Touch not be able to use the newer laptop's itunes? (I've authorized them both). I ask because the itunes purchases are mostly on the old laptop, and don't come up on the newer one's itunes. Also the CD burner on the old one is kind of screwed up.

Am I in trouble here? Is there a way to do any of this?

thanks for any help,
    NJ
  2. Ken_Couture

Ken_Couture New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Music transfer

You need to call apple care. They give u step by step instructions

Please Register or Log in to view images

3. iPhreek

iPhreek New Member

Download Music Rescue from kennettnet and use it on your Nano. Then sync them to the Touch. I don't think there is any way to 'drag and drop' since the Touch is encrypted.
  4. Locriana

Locriana New Member

If i'm going to end up having to use the sync function, that won't work for me, but thanks anyway.
    Drag n drop indeed works fine on the touch i just did it. Dragged a ripped mp3 file from an explorer window (windows xp) to the 'music' section of the Touch.

I downloaded ipod 2 ipod, but it doesn't recognize my ipod touch 2g.

In their troubleshooting section, it says "Please ensure that within iTunes you turn on the "Enable Disk Use" option within iPod options.". According to itunes, enable disk use is automatically enabled when 'manually manage music' is selected and applied. However, in the latest version of itunes, when i check that box, 'enable disk use' is not a visible option.

Does anyone know how to work with this?
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    IPhreek, Music Rescue is a great program, thanks for recommending it. After trying about 5 other such programs, all of which were terrible, the one you recommended was far superior. It doesn't come up when searching for this type of program, so many thanks!