transfering files to touch withoutiTunes on the 2g?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by jady, Oct 17, 2008.

1. jady

jady New Member

Most of the apps I have found do not fully support the 2G.

Do you know of any? preferably freeware..........
  2. Teslanaut

Teslanaut Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Are the Apps, legal? Did you buy them? If not, you fail at following the rules. Apps can only be installed via iTunes or the App Store. Of which you BUY.
  3. Liam Wolf

Liam Wolf New Member

Goodjob, You made me join the forum before I even got a Ipod Touch 2G [Getting it Christmas]. I have been snooping around for days, but your post just immediately grabbed my attention. Why? Maybe its because your a dumbass that didn't understand what the original poster was asking. Maybe, just maybe, I'm wondering how someone without a grasp on the obvious can make so many posts and not be the most hated person on this forum. Okay, Well I'm going to help you out.

"transfering files to touch withoutiTunes on the 2g"

Okay, Its not in the best of english, but you should be able to get the just of it. He wants to transfer files without using itunes to his 2nd generation touch. Last time I checked a MP3 is a Filetype, a ACC is a filetype, Quicktime has a filetype. Word Documents are Filetypes. Files does not only represent applications.

"Most of the apps I have found do not fully support the 2G."

Okay, I can see how this could be a bit confusing... Wait no I don't. It is to my understanding that most of the applications in the iTunes App store, support both Iphone and Ipod Touch. So any reasonably intelligent person could figure out he was talking about software you use on your desktop.

"Do you know of any? preferably freeware"

Last but not least. He never said he wasn't going to pay for it. He said he would perfer freeware.

Who knows I might just be blowing this out of proportion. You did have one good "fact" in your post "Apps can only be installed via iTunes or the App Store." This is true but not true. It's true that as of this moment the only way to transfer files would be using iTunes, but developers are working around the clock to find a way to transfer files to your Ipod Touch without iTunes. Despite what you think, alot, and I mean alot of people don't like iTunes. They use it because its the only thing they "know" of that works. Itunes is a system hogger, I use Foobar, and Seriously hope theirs a crack/hack before I get my Touch.

If you didn't understand what the original post has said please apologize. If you did, and I blew this out of proportion then I apologize.
  4. Pickaxe

Pickaxe New Member

Pretty good post, I also think he is a dumbass, can't stand his posts.

Tip: next time you make a condescending flame, make it shorter.
  5. Jarlath

Jarlath Retired Moderator

Here's the summary:

You can transfer files to the iPod without iTunes, BUT you can't get them to play in the iPod (music, video) or move them outside of the folder they got transferred to using whatever program you had (MobileStudio, AirSharing, Files, DataCase). Therefore, if you want to view those files... it's kinda pointless if it's music or video.

Beyond that, you could use DiskAid to transfer the files to the iPod's Media folder with USB... but that won't add them to the MobileMusicPlayer application or the video application. You could view pictures or document files with AirSharing or Files or whatever... but beyond that? Nope.

As for installing apps... you can't, not without iTunes, and despite what Liam Wolf thinks, Apple is NOT about to let third-party applications install themselves on the iPod without iTunes or the mobile App Store, because that would mean that an application had bypassed the SDK restrictions and sandboxing which is definitely against Apple policy. The only way to bypass that is to use jailbreak, and Apple seems to have taken precautions against that with how the Touch 2G's set up. It's certainly not as easy as it was back in the 1.x days on the Touch 1G which could be jailbroken from a website or a simple ramdisk exploit.
  6. e605

e605 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    So, this way you can use you ipodT as a pendrive?
    I am getting my Ipod this week and was asking the same question.
  7. Liam Wolf

Liam Wolf New Member

"and despite what Liam Wolf thinks, Apple is NOT about to let third-party applications install themselves on the iPod without iTunes or the mobile App Store, because that would mean that an application had bypassed the SDK restrictions and sandboxing which is definitely against Apple policy."

Despite what Jarlath said, I had no intention of telling you that you could infact install third party apps to your Ipod Touch without using the iTunes media player. I did however misquote a person who said "Apps can only be installed via iTunes or the App Store." I meant files, I did not mean apps, and for that I apologize. [Not really, but who cares.]
  8. Jarlath

Jarlath Retired Moderator

Sorta - it'll work through WiFi to let you copy files to it as well as download them back via a webserver built into those programs (MobileStudio also does this), but it's easier to carry a real pendrive. The only reason you'd do this would be if you had an iPhone and forgot the drive, and had those files available online somewhere (you could use the EDGE/3G connection to download them again), or if you want to avoid carrying your pendrive for some reason or another.
  9. link433

link433 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Did you actually read the OP question, or did you just see the word apps and freak out??

He's asking what COMPUTER APPLICATIONS are able to access the iPod to transfer files to it.

He's not asking "OMGZ, TEHERE'S NO JAILZBREAKZ YET!!!!11 HOW I GET FREE PIRATEZ ON MY IPOD!?!!!11/?/"

Just because you have a high post count doesn't mean your the brightest crayon in the box buddy...

As for my helpfulness to the OP, there are plenty of great suggestions in the above posts, but kinda makes me wanna ask, why can't you use iTunes? Linux user? iTunes not working?
  10. jady

jady New Member

iTunes works just fine but I am used to the drag and drop convenience of my old mp3 player. I also want to be able to transport music between my home, work and girlfriends computers without syncing and losing all the contents of the ipod.

I did find Touchcopy and it works really well.........

thanks guys

Please Register or Log in to view images