Transfering files to ipod like removable storage WITHOUT ssh..

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by arikado, Jan 3, 2009.

1. arikado

arikado New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    So here's the thing. Anyone who has the "Backgrounds" app, from the appstore, knows that when you download pictures/wallpapers from the app, it gets stored in your ipod's storage.

Originally, you can't access your ipod storage like a removable harddrive, but once you downloaded a picture from the 'backgrounds' app, you can see the removable harddrive (and the picture inside it) in My computer.

You can then continue to use this like a removable storage. As long as you carry your usb cord around, of course.

So my question is, with this in mind, could i place files into my ipod and have them show up in apps such as "Memory Stick (free)" or Files lite, etc?
    Will they show up, and will they work?

How is ssh any different compared to this method? (Sorry, mind you, i do not have a jailbroken ipod so i haven't experienced ssh).
  2. Joe Rossignol

Joe Rossignol Community Manager Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    No this wouldn't work unfortunately. And SSH is different compared to this method because you're accessing the iPod's file system.
  3. arikado

arikado New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Ahh, i see. But i'm curious as to why the downloaded pictures would show up in the pictures app?

If i were to place my own pictures in the same place, would they show up in the pictures app like the downloaded ones?

If yes, why couldn't documents such as pdf files, or doc files show up in, say "Memory Stick (free)"?