Track stolen iPt w/ no anti-theft software installed

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by theiThemer, May 24, 2010.

1. theiThemer

theiThemer Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    My brother just had his iPt 2G stolen from his backpack at school, and I'm wondering if there is any way to track it.

It has no previously installed anti-theft software, but I do have the serial number and it has an SSH server installed. Its jailbroken and has AndroidLock on it, and I doubt whoever stole it will be smart enough to be able to get into it. Hopefully they are also too dumb not to restore it/DFU restore it, but this probably is the case.

I know its probably gone and no way to track it, but maybe you people know of a way.

Thanks.
  2. -lkv-

-lkv- New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (White)
    Sorry kid, once stolen its gone forever, even if you wanted totrack the ipod tou h, you need the ipod on wofi to able to see where it is and you needed to install the anti theft on first.
  3. Tkf1

Tkf1 Community Development Staff Member

Device:
    iPad mini
    Report it to the Police and give them the serial.

Does the school have cameras? They can find out who it was.
  4. Psoul

Psoul Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    what is the anti-theft software?
  5. Tkf1

Tkf1 Community Development Staff Member

Device:
    iPad mini
    MobileMe.
  6. theiThemer

theiThemer Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    My school is the type of school that would be like:
    "First of all, iPods or other electronic devices arent permitted in school in the first place, and we cannot be held liable for any damage, loss, or theft incured."

They made us sign the "student handbook" in the beginning of the year, so... im f***ed w/ that one.

I did file a police report, and gave them the serial, but they didnt seem to interested, all they said was that theyd "check around" meaning that they'll go to pawn shops, etc, but I doubt they'll find it.

Thanks for the help... any other suggestions?
  7. shashanknegi

shashanknegi Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    could you explain how mobile me works???
  8. kevuk09

kevuk09 Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (White)
    im not sure but if you report it to apple will them not put a block on it if its synced with any itunes or do they not do that sort of thing
  9. Toilet Duck

Toilet Duck New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Bad news. Do your parents have any kind of insurance that would cover this? It may be one way of getting a replacement.

Regardless of what your school is like, I think they would be interested in there being a thief actively operating on their property, so it may still be worth reporting to them. Your bro may not be the only victim of theft around the school.

As for the device itself, then sorry to be the voice of doom, but there's plenty of info about iTouches on the internet. Even if the person that has it didn't know about Jailbreaking, they'll figure out quite quickly how to run a DFU. Then the device is ready to use again, the only consolation I can offer is any personal data will get wiped.
  10. Jayden

Jayden Active Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    The only thing I suggest is to report it to Apple and the police, and Apple might be able to give your brother a replacement iPod Touch. All in all, I think your brother is in trouble. Lol.