TPU causes white streaks?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by dd_ny, Sep 26, 2010.

1. dd_ny

dd_ny New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Someone on here said that TPU causes a white streak on the back of an iPod (we are talking specifically the stainless steel iPod touch backing here) over time, and may scuff it.

I'm not sure what would cause the white streak, but that sounds more believable than a scuff to the back. TPU is too soft to scuff, right? Only hard plastic will scuff.

Anybody here kept an iPod for an extended period of time and only protected it with TPU? How'd it turn out? Mine is scratch free now with TPU, and I'm really wishing I didn't have to return it because cosmetically speaking, it doesn't have any problems.
  2. micro_hard

micro_hard Active Member

Device:
    iPad mini
    Not sure if it will cause problems, that's why I'll be putting on a shield at the back when I get my iPod.

Also I had a hard case (acrylic) on my iPod 2G and it didn't leave any scratches/marks/scuffs at all. It was mint, I had it for a year before I sold it.
  3. iJailbreakk

iJailbreakk Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    ive had mine in TPU 24/7 it seems like its protecting it not scffing it... mine fell off my lap on the bleachers at school..i had a mini heart attack...but it came out scratch free... love the TPU case
  4. Amps

Amps Member

Device:
    iPad 3
    Those scratches are caused by dust/sand particles slipping between the case and the back of the iPod Touch itself. If your case shuffles a bit, the particle will scratch the back of your device. Hard-on-hard (hard cases) are easier to scratch than Soft-on-hard (TPU).
  5. iJailbreakk

iJailbreakk Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    My tpu case is so tight i doubt any dust will get in there

Please Register or Log in to view images

6. dd_ny

dd_ny New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I'm referring to scuffs, not scratches. I've had scratches on my old iPod from dust particles getting into the case, but the scuffs I got were from the hard plastic case I had bumping into the stainless steel backing.
  7. Amps

Amps Member

Device:
    iPad 3
    Oh, my bad. And yeah, the same story holds for scuffing I guess. Hard-on-hard & Soft-on-Hard.

Maybe the white streak came from the paint/pigment of the case?