Review TouchType

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Reviews' started by Radish, Jun 6, 2009.

1. Radish

Radish Banned

Device:
    iPod touch
    TouchType

Price: $0.99

Version: 7.4

Developer: Michael Schneider (support@thisistech.com)

iTunes Link: TouchType|TouchType Lite

What is TouchType?

TouchType is an e-mail application that compensates for features that the native e-mail application ought to have. Designed with users in mind, TouchType has come a long way since its debut last year. This application has a satisfaction guarantee from the publisher, thereby eliminating any excuses not to try this app. There's also a lite version.

(Source: TouchType Application Description)

Features

This application's advertised feature is its ability to type in landscape mode. Doesn't sound like much, but it is much easier to input letters without that feeling of being cramped. I suspect users that shoot off long e-mails (business types, gabby teens, penpal writers, etc) appreciate this more than the average user, although it is a very useful thing to be able to do.

Landscape mode at work

Please Register or Log in to view images

The second advertised feature is its spell check function (which supports more languages than I realized existed, including Esperanto). After you finish writing, you can hit the spell check button and if there are any spelling mistakes it will bring up a list of words it thinks might be the correct spelling. If there are no spelling mistakes it displays the message "Spell Check Complete". To test how well spell check functioned, I decided to try the words "Radouche. Memrbe Rebewwer" to see if it would be able to discern I meant "Radish. Member Reviewer".

The spell check test

(As you can see, it performed very well)

One convenience of the app that isn't well noted is the Twitter Integration. I was surprised at this because I hadn't expected it. You must first input your Twitter username and password in settings, then write what you want in the main body of text (anything written in Subject will be omitted). Hit the send button and it will give you the option of "Send to Email" (which closes TouchType and opens native e-mail app) or "Update Twitter".

Twitter Integration

...and the result

(Screenshot from computer browser)

Let's discuss a little about saving and loading with TouchType. Press Save and whatever typed in, including the Subject Line, will be saved. If the app is closed for some reason, opening it up will display what was saved. You can save several e-mails, which are cycled by pressing Load.

Showing off the save function

Although you cannot access your e-mail messages from TouchType, you can however reply to them from the native app.

User Interface

The user interface of this application is simple and to the point in every way.

• [ A ] Clear. Erases all text, including subject line.
    • [ B ] Load. Brings up a saved e-mail. Press repeatedly to cycle through saves.
    • [ C ] Information. Opens instructions and settings.
    • [ D ] Save. Saves the current subject line and text.
    • [ E ] Spell. Press to spell check.
    • [ F ] Send. Choose between tweeting or sending an e-mail. If you choose to send e-mail, this closes TouchType and brings up Apple's mail app ready to send with your message.
    • [ G ] Text box. Subject and message written here.

Instructions

One thing I don't like about the interface is having to quit TouchType to send a message. I'm not sure if this is Apple's restriction on applications or the application's design itself. Other than that, I have no problem with the interface.

Reuse Value

For me, I use this every time I would use Apple's e-mail app, a high reuse value.

Value for the Money

I searched appshopper for similar applications and found several somewhat alike applications. All were $0.99 or above but did not have a refund guarantee. TouchType seems like the best application for spell check and landscape view for e-mails considering those points.

Last Thoughts

I found the switch from using the default mail application to using TouchType easy. For people who don't use the mail application, I doubt this will be of any use to them. To simplify this: If you write e-mails, TouchType is a better mail application than the default, if you don't write e-mails, or not often, you're better off with the default than spending $0.99.

No crashing occurred at all. Very stable.

Ratings

Features: 9/10 - It has everything that's obvious, but I'd like to see more than just what you would expect. (More things like twitter integration).

GUI: 8/10 - Simple, easy to use, only thing I dislike is quitting the app to send e-mail.

Reuse Value: 10/10 - Can't get better than replacing an Apple stock app.

Value for the Money: 9/10 - Lowest price possible (besides free), somewhat similar apps available. Refund accepted.

Overall: 9.0/10 (Exceptional)

Attached Files:

2. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Nice review. I might have to try this!
  3. flips30240

flips30240 New Member

Very nice in-depth revie! Kudos to u!
  4. PG2

PG2 Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Looks great. Question though: Have you ever run into a word that it doesn't know? If so, what word(s)?

Also, can you completely jumble up words and it will figure out?

Eg: If I typed nteritne (internet), would it come up with Internet?
  5. Radish

Radish Banned

Device:
    iPod touch
    Just tried nteritne and unfortunately it doesn't show Internet in its suggestions.

Haven't run into any words it doesn't know besides words I made up, or very slangish words. I kinda wish Apple would implement this type of spell check.

Also, using the keyboard without landscape mode is difficult for me now. Gah.
  6. Skeptikal

Skeptikal New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    why does it say you were in safe mode? sorry if that sounds dumb
  7. Radish

Radish Banned

Device:
    iPod touch
    Oh. It's for people who are jailbroken. Safe mode disables themes and such. Thanks for bringing that up.
  8. iPod Touch™

iPod Touch™ Banned

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    This closes all ms extentions so apps will run smootly for Jailbroken users, I always Have my ipod in safe mode while i do a review. Awesome review.