Touchpad Elite Review

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Reviews' started by flashcus, Jun 1, 2009.

1. flashcus

flashcus New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I came across Touchpad Elite from Jugaari after finding it one of the most useful apps of the pre-2.0 jailbroken days.

The App
    The application is a method of controlling your PC or Mac with your iPod Touch or iPhone. Unlike full VNC, this only acts much like a trackpad on a laptop would, only you can type with it as well.

As long as both your computer and ipod are connected to the same network, using this app is simple. All you do is drag your finger across the screen, and the cursor on your computer moves. You can bring up a keyboard to type, and use special gestures like a two finger swipe to scroll.

This is very useful if you want to lie in bed and control your computer, or just sit back and relax, while being able to chat to people on MSN at the same time!

Setting Up
    Jugaari have a set up guide which is very useful (Link), and tells you everything you need. First, you need to download a program onto your computer known as a VNC server.

For PC, I use TightVNC (Download)

For Macs, they suggest Vine-Jaadu Server (Download)

Once you specify an IP address and password, you are ready to get going.

All you need to do then is open up Touchpad Elite, add a server, and input the IP address and password, and presss "connect."

It then connects, and you can start having a play!

Ease of Use
    It really is easy to do just about anything with this app. You can use the command and alt keys, type, right click, scroll, anything you want.

Once you learn the commands (and there are a fair amount of them), you can use this app just as easily as you would with your keyboard and mouse (though I wouldn't recommend it for gaming. I tried, it didn't work!)

You can even use it to control a media player!

Drawbacks
    The only thing I could possibly think of which is a drawback to this is that if you do choose to lie in bed and use it, you will find it is very hard to see what you are typing or reading on screen. The typing problem is solved by having what you type appear on the ipod screen, so you can see if you make a mistake. But, if you are trying to browse the web, I would recommend getting Jaadu VNC, or another VNC app so you can see what you're doing easier.

Verdict
    This app is a great addition to any collection of apps. It is extremely useful, and can be a lifesaver in some situations. Its simplicity gives it an edge over other trackpad applications. Jugaari did a great job with this one, and for anyone wanting to control their computer from a distance, this is a must have. As an everyday user, I don't have any problems connecting, though if you leave your iPod or iPhone on sleep long enough for the wifi to turn off, it disconnects (obviously!).

Screenshots and Links

Please Register or Log in to view images

And at the moment it's only $0.99 or £0.59 so it's a bargain for anyone!

Enjoy!

Attached Files:

2. thecooldude

thecooldude Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Very nice but do a review for jaadu vnc. If you have it. I do (LEGALLY) I might do a review on it
  3. mieraisamazing

mieraisamazing Banned

mind removing that whole quote?? not necessary and takes up SO much space.

btw good review

4. GrooveMachine

GrooveMachine Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Nice review! Good detail 'n stuff.

For the record, it's not really necessary to quote such a giant post.