Touch still bricked after much research

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by moot01, Jul 21, 2008.

1. moot01

moot01 New Member

Hi everyone,

I've seem to have bricked my iPod touch while trying to jailbreak it. I've done quite a bit of searching through various forums and google to no avail. My iPod is not recognized by both iTunes and my computer when I plug it it. I also cannot turn on my iPod.

I was using winpwn and everything seemed to going fine until some code was running on my ipod. When I looked at my ipod after a couple of minutes the code was no longer being displayed so I thought I could unplug it, but after doing so I have not been able to get my iPod working again. I think my problem was that I forgot to downgrade my Itunes to ver. 7.7 while doing this. Specific details on what I was doing is available if anyone think it might help to solve the problem.

I have tried holding down both the home and the power button, and holding down the home button while plugging in my iPod. But sadly I have had not luck with it. (Unless of course I'm suppose to do press the buttons for a couple of minutes instead of seconds?)

From my understanding I should be able to get my ipod working again since it's a problem with the software and not the hardware?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  2. whassuo

whassuo Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Turn it off, and hold the home button for a long long time and it should go into DFU mode.

Please Register or Log in to view images

3. moot01

moot01 New Member

Thank you very much for your reply. When you say long long time, how long do you mean? I ask because I've held the home button for 5 minutes without any result.

Also, when you say "turn it off" is there anything special I should be doing? I think the iPod is off but I can't be sure, mostly because nothing ever appears on the screen and when I plug it inot my computer it does not show up.

Any further help would be greatly apreciated. With housing and college tuition on the rise, if I can't get my iPod working again I don't think I'll be able to buy a new one in the furseable future. Just the thought makes me want to cry. T-T Sigh, I'm such a girl sometimes.
  4. RenegadeKrogan

RenegadeKrogan Banned

First try entering rcovery mode....

Hold the home button and power button until it is off and then hold the home button and plug it in. Keep holding and wait for itunes to reconize it.

(Also, i suggest using iliberty instread of winpwn...i have a tut on it)

If the recovery option does not work then try to enter DFU mode.

Hold the home button and the power button until it shuts off keep holding for EXACTLY 2 seconds and then let go of the power button and keep holding the home button for about 35 seconds. It should be reconized by itunes and be ready to restore. You have to have it pluigged in during the dfu process.

Let me know if it dows not work!
  5. crizh4x

crizh4x Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    It must be docked while you do that.
  6. Dennisja

Dennisja New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    i will tell you how to put ur ipod in DFU in more detail because for one in DFU moood the ipod shows no signs of recovery mean the little apple with the use does not show up. so when your ipod is off you hold down the home botton then plug in into the computer WHILE STILL HOLDING THE HOME BOTTON then ur computer should notice the ipod and you can let go of the home botton then you restore if this does not work im every srry to tell you i have no clue other then to try the sleep/wake home botton restore once more

good luck
  7. moot01

moot01 New Member

Thanks for all the help guys. I was able to get itunes to reconize my ipod again, but the problem is that it thinks it's an iphone. So when I click on restore I end up getting an error. I have tried restarting itunes and unplugging and pluging back in my ipod.

Futher help would be great!
  8. Dennisja

Dennisja New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    this has never happened to me so I'm not sure but its worth a try and sounds like it would work . All you have to do is download a 1.1.4 or 2.0 firmware off the net the shift click restore and you should be fine

Again good luck
  9. moot01

moot01 New Member

Thanks again for the reply, but the problem now is that when I plug in my ipod it is reconized for only a few seconds before it gets disconnected again. Leaving me unable to try to restore it. Am I doing something wrong? I can be such a ditz...
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Sorry for the bump but I think I'm making things worse. o.0 Now after holding the power and the home button, and then plugging the iPod back in, while still holding the home button, it no longer is reconized by my computer.

A lot of the previous posts have told me to hold the home and power button until it shuts off, but the prb. is I can't even get it to turn on in the first place, so I don't really even know if it's being shut off. =\