Touch sensitivity?

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by felixen, Feb 12, 2008.

1. felixen

felixen Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I was wondering if the ipod registers how hard you press the screen? If it does would it then be possible to create a "weight" application? You know, just one that weighs small objects
  2. micaheljcaboose

micaheljcaboose Well-Known Member

it might be possible i really dont know about the specs of the ipod.
  3. Drako

Drako New Member

this would be awesome but i dont think the touch registers how hard you touch something lol
  4. toehead

toehead New Member

Its a capacitive touch screen. it wouldnt work like that. It only registers the touches of a few very specific materials. Try using gloves and see how well it works.
  5. tlknocke

tlknocke New Member

D*mn. I was just gonna say that.

He's exactly right. It only works with objects similar to the human skin, picking up on the electricity created in the body. These small electric currents get transferred into through the screen and onto an electrical board that picks them up and sends the data to the CPU.

It can NOT pick up on weight.

Sorry to burst your bubble. lol.
  6. ryancx

ryancx New Member

It can't register size either, can it? I mean, would it recognize when your finger spreads out on the screen? That could be like pressure sensitivity
  7. kdubbicles

kdubbicles New Member

wait

how about if you could somehow use the accelerometer or whatever that sh*ts called to gauge weight? like not just standalone ipod touch scale, but with maybe a system of sh*t that you could roll with that assembles into a scale of sorts using the accelerometer like a triple beam or something. i'm no scientist but i've been wondering lately if i could use the touch to weigh out nugs. so f***. figure it out scientists.
  8. ayuzer

ayuzer New Member

you would need a stable support for the ipodtouch if you want to use is accelerometer to figure out the weight. Such as a sponge under it, but since not all sponges are the same, it would be very unlikely to determine the weight of something w/ the accelerometer
  9. skinnny101

skinnny101 New Member

No it figures out size. It figures out the total area your finger is touching.

Look at this:
    http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/ipod-touch2.htm

it explains everything