Touch Screen Not Working

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by starshot, Aug 7, 2010.

1. starshot

starshot New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I really don't know how this happened. I have the latest ipod, and it always stays in its case. And I noticed that it was starting to act weird - the screen was changing from dark to bright. I took it out of the case and there was a little bit of water in there =/. Great. Only the back of the ipod was a little damp. So it's laying out of its case right now, and I put it beside an open window to dry it out.
    The physical buttons still work and the screen lights up, but I cannot unlock it. And the odd chance it does unlock nothing else with the touch screen will work well with my touch. I tried hooking it up to the computer but my computer did not even recognize the device. It does however still charge.
    Should I just leave it to dry for a few days? Any tips of what to do?
    Any help is appreciated, I have not had a problem like this yet, so I'm new to a lot of ipod recovery things. Thanks

Please Register or Log in to view images

------------------double post merged------------------
    Okay update ... the touch screen works again. I guess leaving it by the window did some good.
    But ... the only thing that is not working are my apps ... the ones I downloaded onto my ipod. I try to open them ... and they close instantly ... should I just try redownloading them onto my ipod?
  2. aussigal

aussigal Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    I am a noob too but I would re-load anything that didnt work...I dont think it would hurt to try it...I have also heard there is a piece of white paper down the hole for the earbuds which turns pink/red if the device has been exposed to water. I would be checking down that hole with a torch maybe to see if that has happened.
  3. RandomEskimo

RandomEskimo Active Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    You need to open it to see the pads.

Also if you think it still has water in it (or you just want to be safe) put it in a ziplock bag of rice (Squeeze out the air) for 3 - 4 days. Turn it off first or the battery may get damaged.
  4. amonti

amonti New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I see so many of these, I should offer a custom pack of iPod desiccant and a suitable bag! No one is making any money off of rice...

Like RandomEskimo writes, more than likely water has made its way under the digitizer pads and is shorting things out. Rice first, then crack it open if it still doesn't work.