touch only charging when connected to pc (car-wall adapters not working..)

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by marco1988, Dec 15, 2007.

1. marco1988

marco1988 New Member

Dec 11, 2007
    hi, I purchased the touch one month ago, and I've never been able to charge it from a third party car adapter or from any 5v stabilized source but the pc.

When connected to the car adapter the touch just turns on but then it doesn't charge the battery (no charge icon).

Tried connecting it to a self powered usb hub (disconnected from pc, so the usb connector had no data but only +5v output) but.. same problem.

when i connect the hub to pc, windows recognizes the ipod BUT STARTS TO CHARGE IT ONLY ONCE WINDOWS ITSELF FINISHES INSTALLING THE DRIVER.

for example, many laptops (mine included) leave usb ports powered even in standby: if i put windows in standby my backlit usb keyboard stays powered, BUT THE TOUCH STOPS CHARGING! (also tried with other pcs)

and so.. the question is: from what I read, the touch normally charges when its usb connector is powered by ANY +5v source.
    why i'm not able to do that?

I'm pretty sure that if i build a small 5v stabilyzer to power a usb port (for example to build a wall charger adapter) disconnected from pc, the touch would not charge.

buying a third party charger would not be a solution.. i think..

please help me, i want to charge the touch also when my pc is off.

thanks in advance, and sorry for my english, i'm italian.
  2. Collateral

Collateral Active Member

Sep 23, 2007
    um..i have a wall charger for my touch and it works. Its made by griffin
  3. avaloncourt

avaloncourt New Member

Oct 15, 2007
    I don't know what it is about the Touch being so picky. I have a Griffin car charger and it works fine. It works fine on my regular syncing computer and a laptop that doesn't have iTunes on it. I have three different wall adapters for USB charging all offering 1A output and the Touch will not charge on any of them.