Touch iTunes Backup Problem

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Avatar13, Sep 27, 2010.

1. Avatar13

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    I have this problem that I can't figure out. I have this issue that when I sync and have a backup made using iTunes on Win7 that it overwrites the previous backup and never keeps any of the previous ones. I had tried jailbreaking my touch a while ago to rearrange the icons and wallpaper and thought it was fine. I also updated the OS to 4.0 and I then noticed this problem. It may have been there before but I never looked so I don't know.

I reset my Touch to factory default set up my device as new and reinstalled all my apps and then synced my contacts/calendar. But I still have this problem! When I had warranty coverage the tech support guy I spoke with was surprised at my problem and had me reset my sync history (this was when it had been jailbroken and then had the OS updated) and it allowed me to have 2 or 3 backups but then it just kept overwriting the latest one. I then did the setting up as a new device after doing a factory restore thinking that the jailbreaking screwed something up. I did keep the device name the same as I had before (not sure if that has any relationship to this) but I am now still only able to have one backup. Am I missing something here? Is there a setting somewhere that will let me have multiple backups? Any ideas of what I can try to make this work the way it's supposed to? I'm stumped here. Never having experience with Apple products before I'm coming here in hopes of getting help. Thanks for any suggestions you can give!
  2. GazaIan

GazaIan Well-Known Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    Backups are updated after a new one is made. iTunes doesn't make a new backup every time you backup your device.
  3. Avatar13

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    That's odd because when I had talked to the tech support guy he told me that there should be a list of different backups, one for each time I backed up, and I did have a couple initially until I reset everything and started from scratch. All I ever have now is the one listed for the last backup, no other choices.

Please Register or Log in to view images

4. GazaIan

GazaIan Well-Known Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    Apple's tech support ? From what others have experienced with them, they're just a bunch of untrained "professionals." They aren't even informed about their products.
  5. Avatar13

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Thanks for the replies. But it should do it as I previous did have 4-5 different dated backups to choose from, but since jailbreaking and updating the OS and then resetting everything back to default I only have one backup to choose from now. So you're saying this is how it is supposed to be and that my previous experience/situation was a fluke?

It would make sense to be able to have multiple backups in case you screw something up so I would be really surprised to find this to be the case, but as I've said, I'm new to Apple products and they may be not as good at thinking things through. I've never had a backup program not make multiple backups unless you instruct it to do that. What happens if your last backup is corrupted? You lose all that data!

Thanks again for trying to educate me on this.